Chapter 48

———— Damian's POV: ————

The holidays came and went quicker than I'd thought and it took a while to readjust to the schedule change but soon everyone was back to their normal rhythms.

"You think there are aliens somewhere out there?" Percy asked, hands in the air as she stared at the ceiling. She laid beside me on my bed, and while we were supposed to be studying that was long since forgotten in place of random questions.

I shrugged, my hands resting on the book placed on my stomach. "Sure, I figure somewhere out there." Percy smiled and nodded.

"I think so too."

She hummed quietly to herself, continuing to fiddle with her hands as she stared absentmindedly. I'd come to terms with my feelings a while after my talk with Dick, but I'd yet to act upon anything. I'd nearly done so at new years but couldn't do it. Instead I admired from afar, and luckily Percy had yet to notice.

"What about chupacabras? You think those things are real?" She half snorted as she glanced over at me. I shrugged once more and looked away from her jovial eyes.

"I don't know about that one."

"I think there could be. I mean we have g- masked heros running around all the time anyways, a chupacabra can't be toooo far off." I rolled my eyes as she giggled to herself, I could feel her shaking her head through the movement of the bed.

"You know what is definitely a myth?" I asked. Percy laughed a little again and turned to look at me. I glanced at her, meeting her eyes.

"What?" Her smile was bright as she watched me patiently.

"Your studious side." She broke out into a laugh, her eyes shutting with the action, a small smile coming to my face. "Because you definitely don't have one."

"You're probably right." She said through her laughs.

She sat up and shook her head, her hair flinging about before scattering on her shoulders. I sat up too, though with less head shaking that is.

She grabbed her book and carefully looked it over though we both knew that wasn't going to get her anywhere.

She groaned, though I didn't miss her eyes peaking over at me, a growing smirk rising to her face.

I rolled my eyes again and waved her over "Come here. Let's see what you're on." I knew all this stuff already, my mother required my intelligence for my job so this all was child's play. She scooted over, seemingly happy with the outcome as she handed me her book. I held it in my lap as she glanced over my shoulder, watching intently.

Ignoring the closeness I began reading, listening for her small affirmative hums to reassure me of her listening. Occasionally I'd ask her a question and often she'd recite an answer that would definitely pass but occasionally she wouldn't know and we'd re-read that section.

Halfway through the chapter though I felt my phone vibrate violently beside my leg. I furrowed my brow as I lowered the book, Percy moving back as she occupied herself with something else off to the side, if I was right it was probably just her playing with her pen, something she often did in an effort to fidget.

I pulled up the message to find something from Father. It was an invite to a birthday party, the birthday party of some huge movie star and he wanted me to go. Apparently they had a daughter who was my age or something. Didn't matter cause honestly I never had an interest in meeting her, but I knew I needed to actually go to this one so I sighed as I typed back an okay before setting my phone down. I turned to get back to work with Percy, finding I'd been right about the pen in the process, but before I could do so my phone vibrated again. I sighed as I picked it back up.