Chapter 24

——————Percy's POV:——————

We pulled up to a corner, the low hazy lights of the street lamps beaming down on us as I stepped out of the car. The city air hit my nose harshly, the smell I'd grown accustomed to now much more foreign only after these few days.

I turned to watch as Jason got out behind me, the nervous gleam in his eye contradicting his warm smile. I tried to return the smile but I found my confusion to be too strong to muster up much.

"What're we doing?" I asked quietly, trying my best not to look around too much in case I found something I wouldn't like seeing. I didn't recognize this part of town, in fact, I wasn't even sure if we were in Gotham. The thought only made my confusion worse.

"We're going to wait. We have a friend who works around here who can help to move this process along." He mumbled quietly, his words sounding rehearsed. I nodded, choosing to have faith in him as he shut the door behind himself. "I'm not going to leave you here by yourself though so I'll wait till he comes here, after that you'll be by yourself for a bit okay?" I nodded, not loving the way he sounded like he was talking to a baby but I kept that bit to myself. He smiled and ruffled my hair slightly, my smile turning genuine as he laughed lightly. "I knew I could trust you." I heard the hum of the engine as the car rolled off, the wheels pretty quiet for a car that sleek. Didn't billionaires usually have loud cars?

With just the two of us here, Jason pointed us to a bench a little ways down, it was darker there but I figured it wouldn't be too much harm.

We walked slowly and eventually seated ourselves on the cool wooden bench. The moment I sat down I put my legs out and began shaking my foot, the vibration running up through my leg as I moved back and forth slightly.

"So who'd this guy?" I asked, Jason's eyes watching me as he thought carefully.

"He's a bit of a hero." He mumbled, sounding disgusted with the words like he was forcing them to spill out his mouth. "He has good sway around here so his voucher for you should have more sway than if you just walked in."

"In where?" I asked, my brown raising. As much as I winged it usually, if there was a plan, I'd like to know all the steps before I partake in it.

"The police station," Jason replied, leaning back with a huff as he fiddled with his thumbs, it kinda looked like he was playing thumb wars by himself. "They already know of your disappearance so all you'll have to do is go in, give your name, and when they look up your name in the bank, they should find out you're legally missing." I blinked a few times, the plan turning over in my head as I examined each part. It didn't sound stupid. I felt my hope rising slightly as my shoulder's eased.

"Does this guy have a name?" I asked, a car driving by, its headlights momentarily flooding the surrounding area with light before disappearing down the dark streets.

"Some people call him Nightwing." a voice behind us spoke. I turned quickly, a man in a black and blue suit stood in the alley, hands on his hips as he smiled warmly. Even in the dark, you could read this man's warmth.

I turned to Jason to see a look of relief yet annoyance on his face. For some reason, these two didn't strike me as being friends.

"I call him awesome." The man finished, walking out of the alley and towards us. "You must be Percy." I nodded slowly, pushing myself out of the chair as I stood up, not moving to walk around the bench as I wanted to keep something between me and the unidentified man. His eyes were hidden beneath a domino mask, small white blanks staring at me with no way to tell what he was actually looking at.

"Percy, he won't hurt you okay? We're only two blocks away from the police station so I need you to go with him." I watched Jason for a moment, the idea of going with this random man was not too appealing at the moment.