seventeen

When I arrive downstairs, I am offered the pitying looks that claim my brothers' faces. Now, Charlie and Chase are among the mix, and from what I can presume, they are aware of the message. 

"You did really well with your homework, Ze," Levi says, smoothly, walking towards me, and giving me a comforting side hug. 

I shrug my shoulders in retaliation and quickly head over to the dining room, where I silently sit at the table, waiting for dinner to be served.

Slowly, the rest of my brothers file into the room and take their usual seats around the table. Matteo sits at the head chair, and rests his chin on his closed fist, watching me like a hawk, from his position.

I give him the side eye, knowing that he wants to get a reaction out of me. Two maids rush into the room and place down the plates of pasta as if their lives depend on it. I stare at them, as they scurry out of the room, feeling more drained than usual. 

How did anyone find out, about my brothers? What if they know about my mother, and the dead father I never got to meet? 

"I think we all need to discuss how everything is going to work at school, now that Levi works there, and everyone knows that we are related," Matteo says, looking carefully at me, as if I am a ticking time bomb, that is about to blow up. 

He wouldn't be wrong if that was his belief. 

"Okay, let's talk," I exclaim, lowly, mimicking my brother's action, by resting my chin on my hand.

"I think that it's easy to presume that people are aware of who you're related to, and you need to wear it proudly. If someone annoys you about it, don't hesitate to get in their way, or give one of us a call," Matteo remarks, as a sly smile forms on his face. 

I shove a mouthful of pasta into my mouth and chew it, as I think about what I'm going to say. I don't want to be mean to anyone, but if it means upholding my family's reputation and making my brothers proud, then I might do it. 

"Okay, I think I can do that," I reply, frowning at Matteo's smile that keeps getting bigger and bigger. 

"Anyway, when can we go to the shops? I need more condoms," Axel butts in, not looking worried at the sensitive topic.

"Can't you wait until after dinner," Matteo snaps, before realization washes over him. "And why don't you just drive yourself down there? You have a car, and a driver's license."

"Well, what's wrong with me wanting company?" Axel asks, as if his older brother's words are outspoken. 

"Why don't you go with your latest girl?" Charlie comments, rudely, reaching across the table to hit Axel.

"Don't hit me, you dimwit," Axel says, in a disgusted tone, "besides, I don't know who I'm going to sleep with, yet."

The boys all laugh, but I lean back in my chair, crossing my arms over my chest, as I listen to the sexist conversation. 

"Last one to the movie room gets thrown in the pool!" Chase suddenly shouts, as he rushes from his seat, causing the plush, wooden chair to fall to the ground in a heap. 

The rest of my brothers sprint after him, except Matteo, who calmly remains in his seat, staring off into the distance, like he is the annoyed father of crazy children. 

"We'll watch from the window," my oldest brother says, breaking the comfortable silence. 

I nod my head, but the only thought that is going through my head is 'since when do we have a pool?'

A/N: Hey guys, thank you so much for reading. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND READ WHEN I GET A CHAPTER OUT TOMORROW. I have a plan for where this book is going, I just need a little support. Also, thank you very much for over 1700 reads (I know that it's not a lot,) but to me, it means the world. Keep slaying in life, and I will see you tomorrow night- or day depending on where you live- when I update tomorrow. Bye <3

P.S. Sorry for the short chapter, I have no time tonight, but really wanted to post something, so you guys know that I'm committed.