27-POST WAR RECESSION 1971

Meanwhile, an apron wearing woman on her late twenties was keeping her stethoscope in a rack, rubbing her full moon glasses to clean the blurry sides and tucking the back of her sari just to avoid the rust in her chamber. Her bow tied hair was more attractive than her ear lobes, with a much more retro look.

She wasn't on her usual, cheerful self and was stressed lately. She was looking at her photo with the younger Kashem, missing their days in high school right before the war. On her name plate, it was written, 'Dr. Nitra Ahmeda Kabir', which might have bestowed the title for such a young age but for her, it wasn't expected as it wasn't the time where the doctors are at the point of time, older than her age, while someone like Nitra were still medical students.

She was reminiscing about the early days before Kashem went to the United States of America plus way before Kashem was a rebel. It started to flash a few memories that still lives in the present:

It was few years after the 1952, in between 1963, right before the assassination of the former US President, John F. Kennedy, they had a last proper conversation on the riverside behind Rahat's mansion. It had broken trees and English like textures, as most 'towns-people' had. They were sitting in the tree branch.

"Umm...Nitra" said Kashem "I heard that life in the US are full of dreams and it's enthralling! Cars, girls and all!"

"Shut up!" snapped Nitra.

"Wait! Why?" asked Kashem.

"If you just go with the other girls, who would marry me? I even promised my parents, as soon as you become the 'king', you may ask for the marriage"

"Don't worry. Anyway, other than the country's tougher times, we really did have something special. I, being in the orphanage, I saw you serving the old age home but you were the only person kind to me, until Rahat and I are friends. You're a sweetheart".

"Uh...You are sweeter!" chuckled Nitra.

Few days after the conversation, Kashem left.

Three weeks passed....

Nitra got back home from her medical classes. She noticed a paper folded in the table. She unfolded. It was written with the expensive Parker pen, in which the unique ink glitters in the sun but little did she read, it crushed.

"12th March 1963

Dear Nitra,

I wish I could say goodbye, if we could confront. I apologize that I could not say it on time. I just arrived in America. Full of skyscrapers, vintage cars and strange things that blew my mind! Unfortunately, at first, America wasn't easy for me because of different culture, people and their ethical ways. I am starting to miss home...

Also as a journalist, so many books drove me to the beautiful illustrations and photographs, also watching foreign films on big screen do come to handy. Nitra, if you visit there, you are gonna be liking it...

'Gonna', a new American word, isn't it? Their conversations aren't how we talk in English. I realized, we are too 'bookish', compare to the language the American speaks. Damn!

Whenever girls flirt with me, I do refer you as my wife. They either be friends with me or run away from me.

Nitra, hopefully, you'll become the next great child specialist someday! I miss you with a lot of heart. You are one babe to rule them all. As soon as I finish my years, I will be back to you. Hopefully the enemies won't impose their ideals to you.

Hopefully, sweetheart!

Your 'Bhalobasha' (Love)

Kashem".