One || Damon

I'm not supposed to be here right now

Poking the inside of my cheek as I scan the volleyball court. The girls moving around in matching uniforms is making it hard for me to pinpoint the one I'm here for. Pinning my eyes on her when she moves into view, she's lifted herself off the bench to give her teammates supportive high fives. They're starting soon. Now her focus is directed to her coach who's spoken up, she was so excited for today and if anything she seems stressed.

Watching as she looks around I'm quick to sink back down into my seat when she glances in my general direction. I'm wearing a hoodie, baseball cap and a pair of black sunglasses. They're not exactly on my face at the moment but they're folded into the nook of where the zipper ends, in case I need to put them on or she looks over at me once too many times. I haven't seen her in ages and she hasn't seen me either and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm only here until dawn because of an interconnecting flight. Given the fact that I'm on the UCLA basketball team it isn't uncommon that we have away games. This time we're versing a game against Duke and I was so happy to find out that we'd be stopping in this area for a few hours but I made sure not to tell anyone that this is where I'd be. I used to grow up here so I knew I didn't have enough hours to meet up with everyone so I decided to see no one at all. Equality.

It's fine though. I didn't really mind it anyways since I'll be back in a few weeks from now for Christmas break. There's no rush in seeing anyone now but here I am; Hiding in the crowd of my girlfriends volleyball game.

She called and texted me for a week about this game, talking about important it is to her so I wanted to see her play. When I landed I checked the date to see that it would be today so I decided to come see it for myself after convincing myself it would be okay. It was harder to convince the team that I would be okay on my own but they let me once I told them I grew up here. My coach was against the idea so I had to prove it to him because I had to come.

I've never missed someone more in my life. A part of me wishes I wasn't here right now. I want her to see me, I want her to run up to me and hug me so this is absolute fucking torture. All I can do it watch from afar because I know it would hurt even more to have to physically let her go.

I already had my share of mixed emotions when I had to leave everyone at the airport all those months ago. Doing that again is at the bottom of my bucket list. Sitting in the plane alone was the most gutting feeling and I felt so empty since it truly hit that I had actually said goodbye. I didn't know when I'd have the time to come back.

'Damon?' I hear a soft voice and for a second I feel my heart clench. Relaxing when I look over to the source of the sound, I narrow my eyes for a few seconds. It's a girl.