Three || Damon

Zipping my jacket all the way up, it's too fucking cold

Zipping my jacket all the way up, it's too fucking cold. Having to step over the thick piles of snow that coats the pathway up to the front door, I'm not properly dressed for this weather. I'm wearing my snow jacket because I assumed it would be light but I was wrong. Now it's the only thing on my body that's providing me any form of warmth, the rest of my outfit is as if I'm dressed for a regular day. It snowed last night and you can tell that it did since there's piles of snow in certain spots. Luckily it only now started snowing so I didn't have a flight delay.

Knocking on the front door I cross my arms. I used to be so unaffected by something as cold as this but California ruined that for me. It's continuously hot over there, of course it does get chilly but I've forgotten what it was like to get this cold.

Hearing the clicks of the front door I smile when I see my mother standing there. Looking at me weirdly I realize that she doesn't recognize me. Pulling down the scarf that's covering the bottom half of my face, the only skin that was showing was around my eyes.

'Damon!' She grabs my hand, pulling me inside. 'God! You look so different! You cut your hair?'

'Only a bit.' I smile. 'My hair-tie would fall when I was on court and it got frustrating. Now I don't have to tie it up.'

'Well, it's still in your eyes,' she tries to move it but she gives up when it keeps falling again. It's not as bad as it was when I was in senior year but I haven't gotten it cut in a bit. The roots at the top of my head have grown to reach my eyes but I like to maintain the back so I don't have to bother.

Grabbing my suitcase she pulls it in before closing the door behind me. Not allowing me to get another word in she wraps her arms around me. Squeezing me, she's strong for a five foot five woman, especially when you take into consideration how tall I am myself. Making sure to hug her back I hear Katie's voice coming from the theatre room.

'Mom?' I hear her from a distance.

Laughing as I move away from our mother, it's as if her joy has been sucked out of her body. 'Brylan told me you where here a week or two ago.'

Smiling I know she must've seen what I left under her pillow before I left. I hadn't left a note or anything but I did clean her room for her. I'm just disappointed she didn't end up mentioning it when I called her that night I came back from Duke. If anything she didn't seem like she was in the mood to talk to me.

'I have no idea what you're talking about?' I act dumb but she just hits me at the back of the head. I'm surprised she was even able to reach so quickly and so efficiently. Where there's a will, there's a way I guess.

'How are you going to visit but not see your family?' She seems genuinely upset so I hug her again when it dawns on me that she's just upset. 'Especially since you promised that you'd visit often. We haven't seen you since you left,'

'I underestimated how much pressure I'd have as a devision one player. Especially at an Ivy, there's no breaks. When I'm not at training in a lecture and when I'm not in a lecture I'm at training.' I rub the back of my neck. 'Sometimes I have a lectures and trainings on at the same day. Any sort of free time I have can't accommodate long trips like this. I'm so glad I have this break. It's impossibly for me to have two days off in a row-,'