Twenty-one || Brylan

'So what types of schools where you up against?' Sasha's voice chimes from my phone

Readjusting my not so comfortable position on the couch. I hadn't expected to get asked that question. My parents have called me once since I got here and I told them I won the non existent game I was here to play and they seemed pleased. I didn't gain any satisfaction from their praise since I didn't actually win anything.

Sasha on the other hand has been skeptical of me. She's been asking so many unanswerable questions.

'I don't know? Regular schools.'

'You can't remember any of the schools you went up against?' She hums. 'A little odd huh?'

'Why are you trying to play detective today?' I question her in hopes it'll divert the conversation topic.

I've never been able to lie to her for long periods at a times because she'll pick at your story until there's nothing left. If I went to the store she'll ask me who, when, what, and why. Then she'll ask again but in a different order in hopes I'll trip up if my lying. It's always worked so I stopped answering. Claiming to have no memory made her method useless.

Eventually she caught on with what I was doing but with no proof she couldn't say I'm lying. Because what if my memory is just naturally bad? Why would people keep tabs on random thing? That would be odd.

'Well, I miss you and it's snowing. I wanted to make snowmen with you.' She seems upset and I can't help but feel guilty. She just misses me. 'Why do you always have to go away for sports?'

'I'm not at a game.' I back down when I realize how upset she is. 'Sorry.'

'I know.' Her worry is gone just like that. 'I saw you post you and Damon at some beach the other day. I asked him where he went to school and when he said UCLA which is convenient since your in LA. I knew.'

Laughing under my breath, she played me. I hadn't realized that she has taken extra measures to find me. 'I won't tell...just bring me something,'

'And if I don't?' I try to figure out if I'm being threatened or not.

'Please?' She begs. No threats. It's expected of her since she's never want to get Damon into trouble. Ratting me out would rat him out. She almost loves him more than I do.

'What do you want?'

'Okay! I saw online that there was a store that opened in LA and I really wanted' I stop listening when my attention is caught by the sound of the door slamming.

Looking over to the front door I watch as Damon struggles to get the key into the hole so he can lock it. 'You can just flip the thing and it'll lock.' I let him know. Confused on why he'd forgotten how to lock his own door he flips it before walking into the kitchen.

Chucking his keys on the kitchen countertop rather aggressively, I wince. What did the keys ever do to him? Scanning through all the cabinets for something he hasn't said anything since he came in. Shaking my head I turn back to my phone to excuse myself from the call with Sasha. Only after I agreed to call her soon does she end the call.

'Was that Sasha?' He finally decided to acknowledge me. Barely paying attention to his question I can't help but notice how slurred his speech is. It's not heavy it's actually so slight it's unnoticeable but given how often I speak to him I realize the change. His voice is also somehow deeper. That is something anyone would've picked it on. I thought it was deep enough but this is an entirely different domain.

'Are you drunk?' I almost laugh but he switches off when I ask. I've never actually seen him intoxicated now that I think about it. He's so—quiet.

Continuing to search for something I doubt he'll find at this rate, he grows frustrated and slams the drawer shut. Seeing me flinch he frowns. 'Sorry.' He apologizes before turning to go to the bathroom.

Hearing him fumble around he opens a cabinet which is followed with a sigh of relief. Smiling I lean my hand over the armrest of the couch. I'm not exactly sure what he's doing but I'd be lying if I said it isn't all that entertaining to watch.

Finally returning to the kitchen he seems upset. 'Brylan did I scare you?' I'm a little startled by the question. 'I didn't mean too. I was upset so I slammed it. I'm sorry.'

'It's fine? I'm fine.' I bite my lip to stop myself from laughing. 'Are you sure you're not even a little drunk?' I doubt his certainty but he doesn't respond. Actually. He doesn't even look at me. He hasn't make eye contact with me since he got here.

Twisting open a pill bottle I squint my eyes to try and figure out what it is. It must've been what he was looking for. 'What's that?'

'Prozac.' He takes one out. Grabbing a cup he fills it with tap water before going to swallow the tablet. Pausing he instead downs the whole glass of water on its own. Filling it up again I go to ask another question.

'Prozac?' I repeat slowly. 'The antidepressant?'

'Yeah- no? It is but I don't use it for- I mean.' He only confuses himself. Rubbing his face it draws attention to something red that's smeared on the side of of his lip.

'What's on your face?' I tilt my head.

Finally looking at me when I ask he still doesn't say anything. Without a word he washed his mouth area until it's gone. I didn't specify where on his face I was referring too.

Taking the tablet he drinks the cup of water before putting it in the sink. Swallowing he stares at the drain before leaning over it with his arms up on the counter for support. Sitting up, I assume he's going to throw up until I hear him sniffling. Oh shit. Getting up I walk over to him to check if he's okay.

'What if I accidentally hurt you.' He looks me in the eye, taking a breath when I see he's not crying, he just looks scared. Confused on what he means exactly he moves his hand so he can show me his knuckles. They're bruised.

'I tried to leave the party Brylan but he wouldn't leave me alone. I got so angry and I—' he clenches his fist. 'I don't feel bad and I feel like I should. Should I apologize? I don't remember if I did—maybe...I don't know.'

'If you didn't feel bad then you wouldn't be upset about it.' I try to comfort him.

'I don't even feel bad,' he repeats himself. Leaning back into the sink he stops looking at me. I don't think he even registered what I said.

Sliding between him and the counter I wrap my arms around him. Taking a sharp breath it takes him a second before he hugs me back. 'Want to try going to sleep? See if you feel the same way in the morning?' I choose not to ask about what happened until tomorrow.

He doesn't seem to be in the best mood right now especially since he swapped between at least six different emotions in the ten minutes he's been here.

'Okay.' He agrees.