Chapter 4

[3rd person POV]

      Kenny woke up, shooting forward and almost off of his bed. He pat himself just to make sure that he was real. Though this wasn't anything new, he made sure to check that he was indeed still real and in his room every time he woke back up after dying. For all he knew, Damien could be playing some sort of weird ass prank on him to make it seem like he was back in his room. It happened before, it could happen again.

      He still found it weird though. He either woke up in Heaven, Hell, or just simply his own bed. No matter where he woke up, he still hated it. His parents never should have gone to that stupid Cthulu cult meeting or whatever it was called. He couldn't remember. At least he didn't have to put his parka back on though, since he always woke up with it on.

      He threw his legs over the side of his bed, groaning as he let himself slump onto his dirty floor. He laid there for a few minutes before standing back up, stretching, and leaving his room.

      He walked over to Karen's room, only to remember that she was still in the hospital. A few more weeks and she would be out, they said, but he didn't quite believe that.

      He slowly made his way downstairs, rolling his ankle about 4 steps down. This led to him falling down the stairs with a loud thud. His mom poked her head out of the kitchen before walking over and helping him up.

      "Hey Kenny. I'm sorry we don't have anything for breakfast again today... But good news! I got a job at City Wok! I get to clean the place, so he said I'll make around $5 an hour. And we get to eat any leftovers we want! Isn't that great?" His mom said, a genuine smile painted across her face. Kenny smiled and gave her a hug.

      "That's great ma! I'm real proud of you!" He replied, his mom ruffling his hair. "When do you start?"

      "Oh! I start tomorrow. I'll be working every day of the week from 10 am to 10 pm, along with an added 7 days I can take off whenever I need to!" She replied enthusiastically. Kenny felt bad that she would be working 12 hours only to make $60 a day, but he didn't want to rain on her parade. With all the stuff that's happened, he was glad to see her happy once more.

      "I'm happy for you ma! Right now I have to go to school though. We can talk about it later?" He said, his mom's face turning into one of surprise.

      "Oh, yes! We can talk later. Have a good day at school honey!" She exclaimed, kissing his forehead and waving goodbye. He smiled and waved back before walking out the door. He was surprised she got a job, considering the fact that poor people in South Park never really got the opportunity. He was happy notheless. They would finally be able to buy necessities, even if it were in little amounts.

      As he walked to the bus stop, he seen his friends. Kyle and Cartman were screaming at each other while Stan leaned against the "people crossing" sign. It seems Stan was finally able to go back to school, after being sick since Monday. It was now Thursday. When they finally realized that Kenny had stopped and stood by them at the bus stop, they all said their hellos. He nodded back in return.

      Not even a few minutes later did they hear the quick crunching of footsteps along with heavy panting. They all turned their heads to see Butters running as fast as he could over to the bus stop, watching him nearly trip a few times in the process. Once he got there, he skidded to a halt, panting harshly.

      "Well would you look at that? Her majesty has arrived! What are you doing here princess?" Cartman asked while laughing at his own joke. Butters looked down at his knuckles as he rubbed them together. His face turned red and he looked like he was going to cry. Along with his face of embarrassment, were bruises. Bruises covered almost his entire face, some darker and more visible than others.

      "Jesus dude, what happened to you?" Stan and Kenny said at the same time. Both Kyle and Butters sighed, Cartman still laughing at his terrible attempt at being funny.

      "Cartman's asshole behavior and actions... He's too much of a dick to stop bullying Butters." Kyle answered, turning to Cartman and staring at him with a piercing glare. Cartman just scoffed and looked away.

      "A- and my d- dad..." Butters quietly whispered. However, Kenny heard him. He felt bad for him. He always had to put up with people bullying him. His dad at home, and Cartman at school. Kenny didn't really know why he, Stan, and Kyle still hung out with Cartman, but it almost felt wrong to imagine them not being... "friends".

      Eventually the bus arrived, and they all got on. The man driving the bus said 'hi' or 'hello' to them. He greeted everyone who got on and said goodbye when they got off. It was awkward, but kind of nice.

      Stan, Kyle, and Cartman sat in the back, but Kenny decided not to. He walked over to Butters and sat down next to him without a word.

      "O- oh- Hi Kenny. Why- why are you sitting by me fella? Don't you wanna sit by your friends?" The taller asked, tilting his head. Kenny took off his hood before replying:

      "Nah, not today. They probably won't notice that I'm not back there. I wanted to ask you something anyways."

      "Oh! Uhm, what's the question?" Butters replied.

      "Well, Butters.. Is there anything I can do to.. y'know... help? I know your dad's really cruel, and I want to try and help you. I'd offer you a place at my house, but we can't really afford it as you can tell. Do you need me to frame him for committing a crime or anything? I could probably sneak drugs into his car or frame him for murder..." Kenny rambled on.

      This took Butters aback. Nobody ever wanted to help him. The only person who did was his mom, and even then, she couldn't always or else she'd be beaten too. With that, he began to cry.

Word Count: 1083
Date Finished: 11/5/22