Contracts - Part 1

Contracts

"Can I? I can.

Then if I can, I have to choose.

It seems clear to everyone that I am the strongest. There is no possible violence that can overpower mine. So I can build whatever I want.

I find the parliamentary monarchy of the kingdom of Samawatt repugnant: one of the most boorish examples of a corrupt and inefficient state, with a solipsistic family devoted to the most useless philanthropy and a parliament that goes no further than the petty interests of its members. While this is simply true of all parliaments, the choice to give each parliamentarian their own as administrator of a portion of territory, creating a kind of parliament of prefects, has prompted members to build their own little fiefdom where they pretend to be little emperors.

Even more inefficient is the monarchy of the Elven kingdom of the southwest. Power is managed by the royal family, with the entire line of descendants engaged in multiple institutional roles, and the Elven nobility. By now the kingdom implements minimal control over a non-elven majority population with a result so blatantly close to anarchy as to make it almost meaningless to call it a state. Princess Ailin is openly mocked by a large part of the population, and her military effort is now limited to border protection with obvious problems where orc communities are present."