[ 13 ]

The Vanishing Cabinet stood tall and proud in the middle of Borgin and Burkes, it seemed that time had not been kind to the artefact for the ebony-stained wooden walls were fading slightly. There were also chips and deep gashes on the wood, presumably from before when its previous owners had damaged it. 

Everyone had crowded around the furniture, Bellatrix turned to her sister and smirked, "Come closer, dear!" she urges her nephew who reluctantly stare at the cabinet. 

Draco exchanged looks with Aine, who nodded at him, encouraging him to go forth as she followed him from behind. Bellatrix seized his hand and placed it on the wooden surface of the Vanishing Cabinet, letting him feel the artefact.

His fingers trailed over the grains, feeling the roughness of the wood before his touch trickled down to the cold magical locks and handles. He admired it in silence, enchanted and intimidated by the towering cabinet. He held onto the brassy handles and pulled apart the angled doors to reveal an empty space within it, almost big enough for two people to hide inside the void.

Aine stood behind his shoulders, examining the cabinet from a distance. There was something oddly mesmerising about how the structure of the storage furniture. Most cabinets had doors that opened on the flatter side but the Vanishing Cabinet's doors had opened on the angled parts.

"It is said that there are two Vanishing Cabinets," Borgin spoke aloud, breaking the tense atmosphere. He was trying his best to not tremble under the presence of the Deatheaters, many of his customers present here had their faces on wanted posters plastered all over Diagon Alley. Many of them had committed deadly crimes and could probably kill him then and there if he had spoken wrongly.

"Where's the other one?" Draco questioned and the shop owner gulped. He stared at his own shoes, smacking his lips.

"I can't say for sure, my young lord," Borgin replied.

Bellatrix scoffed, rolling his eyes as she crossed her arms. "Then be sure!" she said impatiently.

"Cissy," Narcissa cautions with narrowed eyes, keeping her sister in check.

"There were rumours that one of them is at Hogwarts, though there is no evidence to it as no one had managed to find it in the castle grounds..." the man stated and Bellatrix huffed again.

"Could it be hidden?" Aine asks and all heads turn to her.

"Perhaps?" Borgin vaguely responded. He too did not have the answer to that. But it was highly likely since the last they had all heard was that it was tucked away in the wizarding school. "Where exactly I do not know, however."

Aine furrowed, deep in her thoughts. There were many locations in Hogwarts that could be potential hiding spots for the cabinet. Places that she may or may not have been before especially since the castle was massive and ever since the incident in the Chamber of Secrets, Aine was sure there were more secret spots that have yet to be explored. She listed out a few spots that she believed could be used to hide such furniture of great importance and the top of her list was—

The Room of Requirement!

She met Draco's gaze, almost as if he had thought of the same site. She gave him a mutual nod. "So, let's say that we somehow managed to find it. We can't necessarily bring such a big cabinet back without drawing any attention, can we?" Draco remarked.

"What happens if they do find it? What can it do?" Aion queries.

"With two Vanishing Cabinets, it creates a passageway between two locations. If one item is placed in one, it will appear in the other," Borgin explained. He walks towards the cabinet to perform an example with a scrap piece of rag, he drops it into the empty board of the furniture. Then he closed the door and within seconds, there was a faint whooshing sound emitting from within. "It has been noted that these cabinets were quite popular during the First Wizarding War. If one is under attack, they could just slip into it and hide until the danger has passed. The cabinets can also ward off defensive spells."