[ 15 ]

The Great Hall was as mesmerizing as Aine had recalled. With the floating candles where flames never cease to diminish decorating the bewitched ceiling along with the starry skies, shooting stars occasionally zoomed past and milky ways that swirled and hypnotizes students with their beauty. Fire spreads across the sculptural scones, warming those within the hall and illuminating the space. If there was one thing Aine loved about her school, it was the fact that it wasn't just beautiful on the outside but on the inside as well. 

Four long stretches of wooden tables were lined up, each hosting students from each house— Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. Everyone had huddled close and had changed into their house robes for the night. A mixed jabbering and chortling washed over the clinking of cutleries as students caught up with one another with stories they had over the holidays. 

Aine sat next to Ginny and opposite Hermione and Ron, she kept looking over to the Slytherin's table and to the massive oaken door where two Aurors had stood on either side. The voices of her friends drowned out of her mind as she took a sip of her drink before eyeing back at the door. She taps onto the stem of her goblet, it had been nearly thirty minutes since the Welcoming Feast had started and both of her friends: Draco and Harry were still absent. 

The girl became nervous, just what was taking them so long? She thought to herself. 

Just what on earth did Draco do to Harry for them to be late? The peeking eyes around Aine's peripheral vision weren't helping the girl with feeling even more on edge. She could hear the thoughts of the people around her even when she had not met any of their eyes, all were either whispering about the news of her father's death or gossiping about the Battle in the Ministry a couple of months ago.

"Who are you waiting for, princess?" Aine heard Ginny asking her, wondering what was keeping the girl on the lookout for. When Aine stared back at her cup and her face tinting red, Ginny smirked. "Oho~ For your boyfriend?" 

Aine remained quiet, shooting her best friend a look that made Ginny tease her even more. The redhead leans back to Dean Thomas, her current boyfriend after she had broken up with Michael Corner. "Isn't she just the most adorable thing, Dean?" she giggles to him and the boy could only simper at her friend.

"I'm sure Malfoy probably got held back during the baggage inspection, don't worry too much Aine!" Dean said, giving the girl a thumbs up and a grin.

Aine gave a shaky laugh, nodding slowly. "Right..." her voice softens. That was what she was worried about, it was the fact that Draco had brought some artefacts back to school. Some were unnecessary baggage and useless, for example, his father's serpent cane which Aine wasn't sure why he had to bring it along. Though if there was something Aine was unsettled about getting questioned was the Cursed Necklace. Just thinking about it made the girl run her fingers through her black locks in frustration.

She could only pray that the Aurors would not question why a mere sixteen-year-old boy possesses a dangerous item. It was a good thing that when Aine had been searched earlier, the dagger she had concealed in her boot wasn't found. She was certain that the Auror that was checking on her had his wand pointed to her leg, the charm would have detected the dark artefact but to her surprise, he did not catch it at all. Aine however, did notice Snape's eyes on her boot when he was there to overlook the search.

Ever since the last Aine had seen him, she was having difficulty trusting the man again. At times he seemed like he was ready to rat both her and her brother to the Dark Lord, but other times, it also looked like he was doing his best to prevent them from getting killed by the other Deatheaters. The actions of Severus Snape had greatly confounded Aine, and she pondered if he was on Voldemort's side or not. Perhaps he was simply playing both sides, which Aine had to admit, was a clever move on his part and risky at the same time.