[ 37 ]

A couple of days later after the poisoning incident with Ron, the Weasley boy remained hospitalized in the infirmary. It took him about two days before he woke up and although he was very much alive and well, and back to who he was before, Madam Pomffrey insisted that he stayed in bed for another week. It was so that she could monitor him just in case there were some overdue aftereffects that might come. 

Ron's survival was a whole miracle since to what he had recalled, he did take a big gulp of the poisoned mead. It was also thanks to Harry's quick-thinking reflexes that had saved him from actually dying. Thanks to the boy's efforts and compliments from his professors, Dumbledore awarded him a special service award for saving his schoolmate along with hundred points to Gryffindor. It came without any surprise for Aine since she knows well that their Headmaster was generous— Too generous actually, in giving out points even for the most ridiculous reasons.

Ginny, Harry and Hermione went down to visit Ron every day after their classes, keeping him company as the hospitalized boy ranted about how boring it was staying in bed all day and all night. Hermione even helped him to take down some notes during class and when she heard him complain about being bored, she even asked the professors for extra worksheets for Ron to do while he remains bedridden. It was something Ron had regretted saying since he dreaded doing them, in fact, he was actually glad that he didn't have any homework. That was until Hermione gave him the worksheets.

Aine had also stopped by to check on Ron with her friends. She quit coming after the third time she had gone down ever since he woke up. It hurt her gravely every time she saw him in bed, his face complexion was pallid and he suffered whenever he had to drink the awful medicine. She swore to not feel anything since the day she found out about how it had been her fault that Ron almost died, but it was impossible to not feel remorseful about it. As much as Ron was annoying at times, he was still her dear friend, her carrot-head brother-like friend.

When she realized he was well taken care of by his other friends and Madam Pomffrey, her visits became lesser. She spends most of her time in the Room of Requirement, knowing that Harry and Hermione had their hands full with tending to Ron than checking on the Marauder's Map. Aine and Draco still needed to fix the Vanishing Cabinet after all. And they were close to completion.

They still needed to test whether their mending was a success before they could appease the weight on their shoulders. The obstacle of making sure that the cabinet allows someone or something to pass through between two different points: Hogwarts and Borgin and Burkes safely.

A tapping sound came from the window when Aine was in her room alone in the Gryffindor dormitory. She placed slots of her dried quill between her diary, halting writing an entry to look at the impatient taps. There, standing next to her own owl, Hestia was Draco's owl; looking ever so frightened of the she-owl. "Hello there," Aine greeted with a small smile, noting the note tied to its leg.

Aine offered the timid owl some treats before removing the little paper. She chuckles to herself when she saw how grumpy Hestia had become from the corner of her eye. Her fingers went over to give the two owls a little tickle, Hestia letting out a cute chirp at the affection while Draco's owl gave a panic squawk, unfamiliar with the action. Aine muttered a soft apology before giving them some treats, she then turns away and sat on the edge of her bed to read the note.

'Seventh-floor corridor, four o'clock.

D.M'

The girl's smile disappeared as she burns the message after she was done reading. The moment of truth, of whether their efforts will bear fruits of success or bore weeds of failure. When Aine turned to the window, Draco's owl had already flown off without waiting for a reply and she sighs.