[ 21 ]

Aine's footsteps quickened when she left the Transfiguration classroom, Hermione calling her from behind. "Aine, come on" her friend beseeched, urging her to appease her rage. She manages to catch Aine's hand the girl spun her heels around, meeting Hermione's desperate eyes, trying to keep the group together. Her gaze adverted behind the brunette, Harry was still bitter about it but he continues to glare at her while Ron cast an apologetic frown as if he had been the one who had spewed hurtful words.

"I'm going on a walk to cool off, you can head back without me," Aine replies. She didn't want to see Harry now, it was only going to fuel the fire within her and she was sure that she would lash out at him. And she didn't want to worsen things between them any more than it already was, as much as she had disagreed with him, she had treasured their friendship and did not want to fracture the cracked wound that had been hammered. If anything, she needed to let go of the anger within her before it consumes her whole and make her do things she will regret.

"Aine..." Hermione sadly trails off, still holding onto Aine's hand tightly, afraid to let go.

The girl smiled at her, she slowly peels her hand away from hers. "Don't worry, I'll be back, Mione," Aine reassures, squeezing Hermione's hand before she turns around. Then, she disappears deeper into the corridor, her figure seeping into the darkness as she left her friends hanging behind, dumbfounded and guilty.

She headed towards the Room of Requirement without a second thought, it was secluded and undisturbed which was exactly what she needed. She would have headed to the Astronomy Tower but it was too exposed there. She needed to break something— To destroy something and release the feelings she had concealed inside, the bubbling rage boiling over. The hallways on the seventh floor were empty as usual, students either in their common rooms, Hogsmeade or other parts of Hogwarts. Thankfully.

Aine took a deep breath as she composes herself before the blank wall and within seconds, the door presented itself to her and she entered. She exhales when the room full of cluttered artefacts welcomed her, she couldn't quite describe how or what it was about the room that seemed to offer her some consolation. With the doors closing behind her, she could finally break.

No one else was here but herself and she could finally be herself again.

Her fists trembled under her sleeves, her brows contorting together as a sharp shaky breath left her lips. With the first attempt of murdering Dumbledore failing miserably, she not only endangered the risk of exposing their mission but also the life of Katie Bell. Her friends were beginning to suspect there was more going on than they know. It was almost the end of the year and there was only another half a year left to make sure they succeed. Time was running out. With every day passing by, her insecurity worsens. 

She was desperate, vengeful and afraid. She used to be alright about failure but this time was different. The stakes were higher, she couldn't afford to fail.

Aine reaches for a random glass bottle and throws it against a chest of drawers, breaking it instantly into pieces. The sharp shattering sound pierced through miles across the room and she screams her heart out in anguish, allowing the fury to unleash her frustrations. Her powers burst out and brutally destroyed the items closest to her: wooden furniture splintering into thick razor-sharp planks of shards, fabrics of rags and tapestries tearing savagely into pieces as if they had been clawed by a monster before lighting up in flames, the iron rods of cages crumpling up into metal yarn of balls under her fists.

When Aine regained her composure again, everything around her was in a piled mess. She panted, her breath erratic and her throat was dry and scratchy which made swallowing hurt. She examines the chaos she made. The wood clattered to the ground and the flames had simmered down, leaving ash and soot settling atop the broken objects. She loses strength in her footing and slumps down to the ground, her back resting against one of the lifesize chess pieces. She was exhausted.