[ 44 ]

After the success of testing out the Vanishing Cabinet, Draco relayed the delightful news to Aine the following day. Despite the girl being thrilled and ecstatic that their hard work had finally paid off, they still couldn't quite celebrate, especially after Draco showed her the note from their other comrades informing them that they would raid Hogwarts in a moons time. That was what they were worried about, it was whether they could perform the last act before the others arrive.

Will they be able to kill Albus Dumbledore?

The days of June went by quickly and Aine dreaded every single morning when it arrived. It only meant that they were closer to the deadline after all. Aine spent the first week of June in the Hospital Wing revising for her O.W.L examinations. She was thankful that her friends had brought her books so she could revise for the subjects she would be taking. Being cooped up in the infirmary became bearable from all the studying since she was always in bed reading, writing or just deep thinking. 

When the first two weeks of June passed, the third came and she was still deemed as 'unwell' by Madam Pomfrey for discharge. Hence, along with her birthday, Aine had taken her O.W.L examination papers in the Hospital Wing under tight surveillance. At least three staff were present even though she was the only student there. 

It was a rather weird experience taking her exams away from the rest of her classmates, let alone being the sole student in such a big space. During the first three papers: Astronomy, Charms and Transfiguration, Aine couldn't really concentrate well with the many eyes staring at her from every corner of the room. The three pairs of eyes that scanned her every move, every scrunch of her brows when she had difficulty figuring out the answers to the question, and every fiddle with her quill when she was browsing through the questions and thinking.

It reminded her of her time in the Malfoy Manor, being watched closely like a hawk while she could hear what they were all thinking. Thankfully, Aine could not hear a single thought from the three assessors who were in the same room. She did make sure to put up her walls and filter out all noises she could hear from the other minds. It was either that or the three staff had barricaded their own mind from her. Nonetheless, it was a good thing since there were lesser distractions.

Subsequently, the prying gazes did not affect Aine that much after the first few papers she had sat for as she had managed to get used to it. 

When it came to her Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts and Herbology written and practical examinations, she was finally allowed to leave the Infirmary even if it was just for a short moment until she was done. Professor Slughorn and Professor Snape even joined in and watched her as she performs her brewing test.

The equipment that she needed was all there and so was a huge array of ingredients all laid out on a table. As soon as Aine was given the cue to start, she turns the paper over and scans the question. Her long raven hair masked a small grin when she saw the potion she needed to concoct.

It was the Draught of Peace, the one she has heard Slughorn repeat countless times that it was a common potion that would come out in the examinations. Even before Professor Slughorn had been her teacher, Aine has heard Snape mention it to their class before though not many had taken note of it since they were still far too early for the O.W.Ls last time.

Aine glanced at the clock. Her potions practical exam was two hours and that would mean more than enough time for her to brew the Draught of Peace since the potion takes about an hour and a half to complete. Not wanting to let her mind go haywire from the nervousness, she took a large gulp of breath to calm herself before she heads to jot down the ingredients she needed and some notes on the spare parchment before she forgets it. 

Once she had listed down everything she needed, Aine proceeded to the ingredients station and carefully picked out what she needed. She heard a short hum from the examiner nearby, surprised and in awe of the confidence she was exuding.