[ 34 ]

Aine forced herself upright, she took a few steps into the room before another wave of stabbing affliction hit her. Her body lost all its strength from shaking, and the screams inside her mind were torturous. She winced, clutching onto her head that was rupturing apart, crushing her from within.

She shrieked in pain with hysteria when the noise became shrill, her footsteps faltering backwards as she cowered to the wall. Everything was flashing by her eyes, one moment she was able to see past the black spots in her vision, and the next, her surroundings churned and blurred. She could see two figures ahead, turning to face her but she couldn't quite see what expressions they were wearing.

The girl secretly cursed in her mind, of all the rooms she had chosen, it had to be one where there were people. "I'm... I'm sorry—" she apologizes with a ragged breath, her hand holding onto the wall as she makes the attempt to flee before the two people in the room with her. With another step, her knees wobbled and she slumps down. "Shit, I'm sorry— Don't mind me..." she breathes, huffing and puffing for air.

Aine's lids fluttered, seeing fleeting visions of the figures running towards her. She waved her hand, not wanting them to come near her. She was losing control of her powers and the last thing she wanted was to set another soul on fire as she did in the cellar of the Malfoy Manor.

"What is the meaning of this Estoil—" she heard a familiar voice in the midst of the commotion in her head. She narrowed at the approaching figure, trying to make of the identity. 

"Professor..?" she weakly called out, recognizing the ever so monotonous voice of her former Potions professor. She hears him click his tongue, clearly peeved by her sudden intrusion and lack of manners. 

Next to him, was a younger lad. And even in the gloomy dimmed room, Aine could make of his face, especially with the familiar platinum blonde hair and emerald green tie. His voice only further supported her assumption of who it was. Even with all the excruciating pain, she managed to cast a weak smile at the boy. Thankful that it was someone she could trust with her vulnerability, but then she realized how much she was going to burden him again with her problems.

"Aine? Love— What's wrong?" Draco cuts in, sensing that something was wrong with the girl. He was bewildered, watching her crumble away so quickly as her face was drained of all colour. He rushed up to the raven-haired girl who was on the ground, his pupils wavering as he scans her face, holding her shoulders. Her breathing was shallow and it even looked like she was suffocating.

"Aine, look at me," he instructed her, cupping the girl's face as she forces herself to meet his eyes. Her head was heavy in his hand, having zero energy to even sit upright.

"Hel... Help m... E... Pl... Please..." she said through her clenched teeth, slowly giving up trying to fight the noise. 

Draco shakes Aine's frame, getting her to stay conscious, panic in his eyes as he watches her suffer again. Another round of torture and internal battle and there was nothing he could do but watch like a fool. His thoughts ran wild, trying to come up with what to do but it wasn't as if he could just cut the connection between her and the being inflicting misery on her. 

The cabinets around them started to shake, the glass cracking under the weight of her immense unstable powers. Draco could feel his arms shivering from Aine's trembling body. He could see how hard she was trying to stay awake with her heavy eyelids. 

Aine was exhausted from the hissing in her ears. She was in despair, she couldn't breathe and she was cold and numb. It was like she was hit with everything unpleasant she has experienced before, from the tortures of Umbridge, Bellatrix and Cal to experience being in the presence of a Dementor and even the first time she had to face her fears in the Boggart class.