[ 23 ]

After sobbing her heart out after Slughorn's social gathering dinner, Aine woke up the next day with swollen eyes. Her friends had all noticed how red her eyes were the following morning but all knew better than to ask what happened. It took Aine a while to get back to her feet, further burying her grief deeper. Like what Draco had told her, it was okay to still grieve for her father, it was alright to not be okay. No matter how long she needs to take to get past that hurdle, he was there with her friends.

Even Aine knew, that until the ones who were responsible for her father's death were taken care of, she would never be okay. For now, she was still too weak to do anything, there was leverage over her and it would be foolish to do anything unwise that would bring severe consequences. She needed to play this game with the one who has her reins properly, her moves were limited and it was imperative to move her pieces with great care.

Speaking of choosing one's moves wisely, the Quidditch match between the Gryffindor team and the Slytherin team was happening later that day. It would also be Ron's first official match that he will be playing after getting the Keeper role. Many of the Gryffindors and Slytherin were wearing their house colours, the great hall bustling around with scarlets and golds, emeralds and silvers.

Aine smirks at Draco across the hall, he was seated away from his usual gang of Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy, Daphane and Astoria. There were bags under his eyes, reminding Aine he must not have slept well or much really. He also hasn't yet changed his Quidditch attire considering the fact that he would be playing later as Seeker. He smiles at Aine before Blaise and Cyrus found him and kept him company, something Aine was grateful for. She was glad to know that he had true friends who cared about him too, and not just those who befriend him because of his family background and status.

"So who are you going to the Christmas party?" Harry casually brought up out of nowhere and Hermione stiffens up at his question. She drowns herself in reading the Daily Prophet, only giving a small hum as a reply.

"I presume you'll bring Malfoy along?" the boy implied at Aine who nodded, he gave a slight eye roll when he caught Draco smiling back at Aine. There was just something about the Slytherin boy that just bugs him and he couldn't help but feel like whatever going on around them lately was because of him. Even so, he tries to be mutual about it for Aine. 

"What about you?" Aine asks back, adverting her gaze to Harry who puckered his lips as he fell deep in thought.

"Someone cool," he replied, still having no clue who to bring. Assuming Hermione would bring Ron, Aine with Draco and Ginny probably with Dean, he was the only one who was left out without a date. It felt like the Triwizard Yule Ball again, he gave a sigh and played with his utensils, looking around the Great Hall at his peers for ideas. 

His eyes met Ron who stood at the entrance, partially suited up in his Quidditch gear that comprises a helmet, and limb pads to protect his knees and elbows. The redheaded boy gulps as he passes by his friends who were all cheering for him. Neville gave him a fist pump as he left the hall and Seamus relayed that he was counting on Ron for their victory, adding that he had bet two games on their house for him and further raising the pressure.

As much as there were words of encouragement to Ron as he walked towards his friends, there were plenty of demoralizing comments from other houses. The Slytherin house being the ones who had hurled hurtful remarks to the Gryffindor's Keeper. It was mostly Pansy's gang that had been the ones who had jibed at Ron.

Aine narrows her eyes at Pansy who was bursting out in a fit of laughter, taunting Ron across the table. Crabbe and Goyle fuelling Ron's humiliation by supporting Pansy and her endless slurs. Aine placed her cutleries down and in a blink of an eye, Pansy's titter had died down into panic muffles when her lips were erased by a dark charm. She flailed her arms trying to find her mouth and rip apart the invisible tape that had sealed her lips, causing a commotion to happen at the Slytherin's table.