[ 17 ]

"Out so soon?" Ginny questions, peering through the vanity table at Aine while she brushes her long red locks.

Hermione placed down her book and looked at her watch, "It's still a little early isn't it, Aine? We still have about an hour before duties start!" she said to the girl who was fixing her scarlet and gold tie.

"I'll do the duties today alone, Mione. You've been covering the whole of last week and barely got time to work on your homework and revision!" Aine replied, offering to take over tonight's patrol. 

Her other prefect friend gave a light scoff, "Mind you, you were with me almost every single time!" she remarked. Well, that was true too but it was because their other redhead friend was too busy with his Quidditch Practice that by the time he needed to do his night tasks, he was all bumped out and exhausted. It was also partly how Aine had wanted to sneak out to the Room of Requirement under the pretence of her doing her duties without getting any suspicious eyes. Hermione stood up and walked over to Aine, "Why don't you ask Ron to accompany you for tonight, hm?"

Aine shook her head, politely declining it. "Ronald needs to do his Defense Against the Dark Arts report. He has been complaining since dinner about not having time to do it. It's due in a couple of days' time, isn't it?"

"But—" Hermione started but Aine taps on her shoulders to stop her.

"I needed to take some time off alone too..." the raven-haired girl told her, it was both a reason that had a lie and truth in it.

Hermione pursed her lips, wanting to say something to object but she knew that Aine needed some me-time too. The year had started out rough for her and the brunette was sure that there were probably a lot of things running through Aine's mind. Thoughts that she needed to clear out and release alone to get herself together. She completely understood where Aine was coming from but even so, she didn't want the girl to be alone in this.

"I'll be fine, Mione. I promise," Aine reassures her with a smile. "Trust me."

A sigh left her friend's lips, "Promise me you'll just go do a few rounds and come back early, okay?" Hermione said, giving her a pleading look.

"Let's just hope no troublemakers keep me up late then," Aine smirks. 

Ginny went up to the two girls and threw an arm around Hermione as she turns to Aine. "There are always troublemakers crawling somewhere, it's Hogwarts for goodness sake!" she states and Hermione darted a glare at her. "Come back soon!" she quickly corrected and straightens herself. She gives a timid wave to her best friend who nodded.

Aine tidied her stuff one last time before heading out of the Gryffindor Common Room. She had her prefect badge pinned onto her robes, the metal glistening when the flames on the scones had flickered when she had passed them. 

The evening temperature was dropping a lot more lately since it was nearing the end of the year. Although winter had yet to come, the evening autumn breeze was crispy and cooling. The gust of wind brushed by the shell of Aine's exposed ear and the girl gathered a couple of strands of her black locks to cover it. 

Although the cooler months had always made Aine even more sluggish than usual, she would often want to snuggle under her covers and go into hibernation. But it was also magical at the same time, it made her thankful for the warmness of the fires around Hogwarts. The chilly air had its perks too, whenever Aine was frustrated or annoyed, her head cooled off better and easier as well.

A little melody hummed from Aine's closed lips as she strolled around the massive castle, carrying the sweet tune to the empty corridors that echoed her song. Hogwarts was ever so peaceful at a such late hour, the tranquillity allowing Aine to find some calmness with everything going around lately