[ 20 ]

Aine shook her head, lips parting as they quivered at the sight of her right odd eye. She didn't know what was happening, why her eye had changed, making her look monstrous. It even looked ghoulish. She wipes away her tears, the inky liquid trickling down her right eye smudging onto her pale face and tainting her hands. When she blinked, she swore she had seen the black turn red. Into blood. Blood on her fingers.

It has to be a dream, this isn't real. She tells herself, calming her dismay. It must all be an illusion, it is all fake. But unlike what she tells herself, she knows that it was all very much real and it only made her more distressed with all of the confusion and fear. The power within her grows unhinged and uncontrollable, she tries to seethe the magic inside but she was getting too frantic trying to understand herself. 

The mirrors started to crack, the tiny dancing flames in the scones flickering under her pressure to ease herself. She grips the sink tighter, biting down a cry as she refuses to look at herself. She was terrified of seeing the monster staring back. She was daunted of her very self. Even the little potted plant near the counter was beginning to wilt, the leaves curling inwards as it withers, the life slowly draining away from it. It was dying.

Dying like her father, Sirius, Cedric...

The memories flashed across her vision and she hitched a breath, squeezing her eyes shut as she relieves the pain in her heart. 

No more... You must not lose yourself, Aine..!

The voice of an unknown being startled the girl and she flinched, her eyes shot right open and she whips around alertly, she puts her guard up and scanned around the bathroom. But there was no on there, not a single soul. It was just herself. She clutched onto her wand and began to breathe through her mouth, inhaling as much oxygen as she can. The more she did, the better she felt and her heart started to beat normally again.

She peeks at the reflective glass, the corners of the mirror had a nasty crack but her eyes— Her odd eye was back to what it was. The disturbing blackness of her eyeball was now white again, mimicking the one on the left. She blinks once, twice— Thrice even to make sure her eyes no longer changed. Aine began to wonder if she had hallucinated about how her eye had turned colour, but she was sure it was all real when the mysterious voice spoke again.

Do not deny yourself. Do not fear...

It was the voice of someone she did not recognize, neither female nor male. It sounded unworldly and it sounded distant and yet it was like an echo of her surroundings.

She recomposes herself and stretches her turtle-neck top to breathe better. With her wand, she waves across the broken mirror and fixes it.

Reparo...

Within mere seconds, the mirror was good as new and the lighting in the room was back to how it was before; the flames were strong and bright. However, there was nothing she could do to the now-dead plant that stood in the corner. Aine's eyes softened, she couldn't bring anything that was dead back to life. There was no magic that could reverse Death. She sighs heavily and finally, she steps out of the bathroom at last. 

She pulls her hair tie and lets her low bun free, the black waves of her hair bounce as she runs her fingers through her hair. She met with Madam Rosmerta who was rushing down the stairs after tending to the Ministry officials. When the older woman saw Aine, she beamed with delight and asked if she was feeling better after assuming that she had been throwing up. 

Aine reassures the landlady that she was fine now and that she must have eaten something bad earlier that morning during breakfast, even though the food was perfectly fine. Rosmerta handed Aine some mint candies in hopes it would alleviate her nausea and winked at her before letting Aine head back to her partner.