[ 32 ]

Aine's footsteps were heavy and unsteady, every step she took only drew her closer to the wall. Her reality became distant as her thoughts clouded her mind, taking control of her once peaceful state. Thoughts of what she had just seen in Harry's memories— Thoughts of the lesson he had just stumbled across in the lesson he had with Dumbledore earlier— Thoughts of the truth that she had unknowingly learnt. One that she wasn't meant to discover.

She plodded down the dimming hallway, the flames flickering as she pasts. One by one, they danced away, leaving nothing but a hiss of black smoke and a darkened pathway. Her vision tunnelled in as she teeters to the side. Her face contorted into one not just of pain and sorrow, but outrage and betrayal. A tornado of emotions all jumbled up, all playing at once as chaos ruled over her head.

Her trembling hand reached towards the stoned wall, her tremoring fingers trailing through the rough crumbly surface. She held onto it for support, the shock nearly causing her to pass out but she endured the urge. She pushes through, gulping with every heave of air. Her breath fluctuated between gasps and pants as tears flooded her golden eyes, making them more polished. She refused to let the angry tears spill.

Aine wanted to scream, but all that came out were strangled whimpers, an inaudible plea for help. Her heart was bashing against her ribcage, making her chest tighten. It was starting to hurt, like her mind. It felt like she was being carved open from the inside, something deadly itching to release, to purge the wrath she was feeling.

Her mind churns with repugnance and madness when she starts to piece everything together, the dots connecting like a constellation, forming a picture that was becoming clearer with every link. 

Aine's mind trailed back to the memory she had come across. She could barely breathe as the images surfaced in her head again...

A woman stood by the door frame, quietly watching over her husband debating which mobile should he hang on the ceiling near the window, just right above the little cot. The room was filled with sun rays, glowing down from the heavens as the day deepens. 

Aine recognized the man. The ash-blonde hair was parted in the middle of his face, the curls framing it. The unmistakable forest-green eyes that Aine knew. He was much younger than she last saw him. 

It was her father.

And then there she was— The other woman that was by the door. Aine did not need to be told to know who it was. She knew who that woman was. The features of her face were like what many had told her, she looked exactly like the young woman they described. Golden eyes that sparkled and long black wavy locks that flowed to her hips, tied in a half braid. She had an enchanting aura to her, the way her eyelids fluttered, the way she moves. She was graceful.

It was Aris Luceras— Now, Aris Estoileon. The wife of Elliot Estoileon. Aine's mother.

Aris was gazing at Elliot, choosing between the suncatcher mobile chime. He was smiling so brightly that it hurt Aris, her eyes softening and her curled lips turned down sadly. 

When Elliot had finally chosen one and hung it, he beamed when the little stars and sun crystals glistened, and the shells tinkled together, creating a sweet chime. He turned to his wife and proudly showed her his creation, making her smile again.

But the guilt was consuming her every time she sees him smile like that— Smiling as if he was the luckiest man in the world. She could feel a part of her heart just chipping away, slowly but surely. All she could do was caress her swollen stomach, praying that he would keep smiling even when the little baby in her is born.

"What do you think?" Elliot asks her as she makes her way towards him.

Her fingers touched the crystals, spinning them and allowing the sunlight to reflect through them, creating little stars on the walls around the room. "It is truly beautiful, my love. I'm sure our daughter will love it very much," she tells him, rewarding her husband with a small peck on his lips. One that he returned.