[ 24 ]

Aine didn't mind being away from her friends, nor did she mind the loneliness of walking around the castle when the others were busy celebrating the victory from the match earlier. What was heavily on her mind more than that was the fact that Draco was missing earlier from the games, he wasn't playing and for another, he had allowed Harper who was on reserve to play in his stead. That rarely happened since Aine knew of Draco's passion for Quidditch, no matter how injured or sick he had been, he had never missed a match and would even have the entire game postponed until the weather was better for him.

She recalled seeing him earlier in the morning in the Great Hall when everyone was excited about the match. He was sitting alone wallowing in the gloom until his two friends, Blaise and Cyrus approached him. He looked rather drained even though he had breakfast, it was as if he had been up all night. Mayhaps he truly was.

Small puffs of air escaped Aine's lips when she breathed out, her feet taking her to the place she knew she would find Draco.

And sure enough, she was right. There he was: leaning onto the snowy railings as he stares at the heavy snowfall on the horizon in silence. Snow piles thickly around him as his platinum blonde locks fluttered when the howling wind gushes by. His head draws back as he lifts his eyes to the darkened skies where the stars had come out to keep him company along with the snowflakes that trickled down. The chilly winter wind brushed his face, followed by the sounds of soft sniffles that Aine believed to be his nose running from the cold. Only Godric knows how long he was up there.

"Draco," Aine calls out from behind with a gentle voice, stepping into the sturdy wooden floorboards of the Astronomy Tower. She tucks a flowing strand of her hair behind her ears as her boots soften the snow on the floor. The boy turns around with a solemn look on his face, the corners of his lips forcing to curl into a smile. The brave facade he wore was crumbling away. "I've been looking for you," she said while approaching him.

"I'm sorry..." Draco trails off, his head dropping apologetically. His fingers reach to take Aine's hand in his for comfort and Aine locks her hand in his. His skin was far colder in comparison to Aine's and the girl gasped at how icy his hand was. It only meant that he was up here longer than she had expected.

"There's nothing to be sorry for, my love" she reassures him. Draco peered up to meet her warm golden eyes that were looking back at him with such tenderness and love that it made his silver eyes glisten with tears in response. Draco's breath shuddered and without saying more, Aine opened her arms to him. "Oh, c'mere..." she breathes, enveloping him as Draco sinks into her. 

His head rests at the crook of Aine's neck and he sniffled, choking back on his tears. His arm reached to her waist as he leaned onto her for support, his body trembling. Only the sounds of very muffled cries echoed into the night. Aine muttered an imperturbable charm around them in her mind, muting any sounds that might be heard. She knew Draco wouldn't want anyone to hear him breaking down, if anything, he hated showing vulnerability to anyone. Aine was the only exception since he had trusted her wholeheartedly and know that she would never judge him.

Aine's fingers traced into his blonde locks, running them through them. She strokes the back of his head with a delicate touch, never letting go of the embrace. She muttered sweet nothings to him and whispered, "Shh... It's okay. It's going to be okay, Draco." Her heart was aching at how broken he was, if anything it was the first time she saw him breaking down in front of her. 

Draco was always the one who was holding it together better than she was and Aine found that both admirable and heartbreaking at the same time. There was only so much one could hold themselves together until it all comes apart. There was a level to how much pain one could endure and it was clear that Draco had been strong for far too long.