[ 16 ]

In the coming days, Aine spend most of her time catching up with her academics again. Her schedule became packed to the brim once again and now more than ever when she had been elected as a prefect. She had to juggle her homework from classes, prepare for her O.W.Ls, patrol around Hogwarts, along with mending the Vanishing Cabinet that she has yet to find with Draco and potentially having to murder a certain powerful wise wizard.

It has been a couple of weeks since school resumed, and during the course of these few weeks, both Aine and Draco have been trying to sneak away during their prefect duties at night to look for the Room of Requirement. It was the number one choice in their minds of the whereabouts of the Vanishing Cabinet. However, since they were both prefects from different houses and had gone on their rounds with a partner, it was hard to just casually slither away. It was especially harder for Draco since Pansy was always stuck next to him like glue, even when he had told her off that he wished to be alone. He was successful a couple of times but subsequently, he failed to shake her off, which had been a huge obstacle and hassle for the Slytherin boy.

Aine, on the other hand, did her rounds with Hermione mostly. The brunette's former partner, Ron has gotten lazy to do his role, occasionally forgetting or getting too tired to perform his tasks when he has been trying to land a spot in the Gryffindor Quidditch Team. Aine didn't mind doing her job with Hermione, but it does get a little tedious trying to evade and lie to her friend that she just needed some time to slip away to visit the Room of Requirement. Thus, marks the end of the first month of not being able to meet their little magical cabinet.

Thankfully, after Hermione had confronted Ron about doing his part, she managed to get the Weasley boy to continue his duties. This was a good thing for Aine since it meant that she had time to be alone and possibly be up to some improvements for her 'other' task.

Halfway through her Herbology Class, Aine had found herself being whipped away by the Head of her house, Professor McGonagall. "Professor Sprout, do you mind if I borrow Estoileon for a moment?" she politely interrupts the class.

Professor Sprout glanced between her colleague and her student before nodding, "Sure! Yes, go ahead, Miss Estoileon!" she urges.

Aine exchanged looks with Ginny who had peered over to the stern face of McGonagall. "Am I in trouble?" she asks softly while rising from her seat to leave. 

The redheaded girl rolls her eyes. "The world will end on the day I hear Aine Estoileon causing trouble," Ginny remarked, nudging her friend to go get her 'punishment'. Ginny winks at Aine and gave her a small wave, "It can't be worse than Umbridge's punishment, don't worry!"

Aine scoffs back, "I'm not worried at all!" she followed McGonagall out of the Greenhouse. Just before she exited, she turned back to see Ginny still staring at her back, "Have fun~" she mouths to her friend, grinning.

Ginny groaned and turned to the front to continue the theory lesson on the Chinese Chomping Cabbage. She was already dozing away with the lesson and now that her best friend was away, she was feeling even more bored. Ginny slumps her head back onto her desk, resting her chin on her arms as her eyes slowly grew heavier. She wished the class would end soon...

With paced steps, Aine trailed behind Professor McGonagall into her office. When she arrived, her professor offered her a seat in front of her desk before sitting herself. She then offered Aine a cup of tea and the girl took a sip of it warily.

McGonagall brought out a piece of parchment in front of her before she looks at Aine, all toughness from her features softened away. "How are you doing so far, Aine? Are you managing your studies well?" she asks the younger girl who blinks back her surprise. 

Aine smiled down at her tea, "I'm doing great, professor. The curriculum schedules are a little tight but I'm handling it well." she replies. 

The older woman exhaled with relief, she leans back and took a moment to study her student. There was just so much resemblance with Aris that it feels like Aine's mother was right in front of her eyes again. Especially the eyes, those golden topaz-coloured pupils were identical to Aris; shining so brilliantly and yet they swirl of mysteriousness too. She spots the subtle shadows under the girl's lower lashes and frowns. "I know it's probably not a very good time to ask but how are you coping with..." she pauses, wondering if it was alright to go on.