LXXVII

Another long plane trip, another check in line, another struggle with the overhead compartments, another cramped seat.
It still felt different to Eddy, though, as the plane took off and left Singapore behind. Would they see it again? He was positive they would. That place meant everything to them, now. He closed his eyes as they went through the clouds and above, into the bright sunshine. The last days had been the best ever, no contest, just none. It had been him, and Brett, and the world had faded out of focus as they had wondered through the city, visiting the marina at last, catching a Singapore Symphony orchestra concert.
It had been quite something to sit there in that concert hall again, watching as the brilliant musicians filled the stage, his husband by his side, their hands together underneath the arm rest where no one could see again, just like they used to do way back when in orchestra camp.
"I want to stand there, one day, on that soloist spot." Brett had said, and he had smiled at him.
Of course he would get to do that. Brett was awesome. One day.

"You good?"
Brett's deadpan tone brought him back to the now.
"Yeah. Just thinking about you, on the stage with Singapore Symphony. What would you want to play?"
Brett grinned.
"Let's see if it happens first, yeah? I dunno. Tchaik?"
"You always play Tchaik though." Eddy laughed.
"Okay, Mendelssohn then. Although I don't like the last bit of the last movement."
Eddy shrugged.
"If anyone can do it you can."
"I can think of a few others who can as well, Eddy." Brett deadpanned.
They were quiet for a long moment, Eddy's thoughts going back to last night's dinner, in a little restaurant somewhere close to the hotel. Best hotpot yet, and best company ever.
"What do you reckon the guys will say?" Brett asked him then.
"I don't know." he shrugged. "I'm guessing Todd will be a little pissed he didn't get to be best man." 
The unease he had felt about this through the week was back in full force, now. The last thing he had wanted to do was to hurt anyone. But he knew full well he might have. And Todd wouldn't say anything, he knew that, but he'd be able to see the disappointment in his eyes anyway. 
Brett took his hand and squeezed it.
"He'll have his chance. One day they'll legalise gay marriage and we'll be front of the line."
"Or we'll elope, go to las Vegas."
Brett's eyebrows raised at that.
"I like it. Maybe we should do some concerts there then?"
"What, do concerts? Together?"
"Yeah, why not?"

To be honest, Eddy could think of lots of reasons. Like how the music industry worked. Like how life would probably take them to different orchestras. Or... if by some miracle they wound up as soloists, they would be traveling, alone. That would suck.
God, it would be great if they could do that together, though. Wouldn't it?
"I like your thinking." he said, rubbing his thumb gently over Brett's hand. "We'll have to find a way."
"Yeah." Brett smiled. "But first of all we'll have to find a way not to get killed by our housemates."
"Or my mum."
"Yeah, or your mum."
Eddy shrugged.
"Look. We've got like eight hours. I'll think about it when I get back."
"Yeah." Brett nodded. "Eddy... I just want to say, this has been the best... well, 'sort of' honeymoon."
Eddy turned to him and bit his lip so he wouldn't do something stupid like kissing him.
"You're right. It has been. Let's go again soon."
Brett's eyebrows waggled, a bit like Todd's could.
"Won't be a honeymoon anymore, though."
"Nah. This was our only honeymoon, but nobody is ever taking this one away."

He leaned against him a little as his eyes got heavy, courtesy of another short night's sleep.
"I love you, Bretty. Thank you for being here with me."
"I love you too, Eddy. More today than yesterday, more tomorrow than today."
Eddy giggled softly.
"That's so cheesy. But beautiful. Thank you."
Brett glanced around, then kissed the top of his head.
"Only for you."