LXXX

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to join in the union between Brett Yang and Eddy Chen."
The master of ceremonies is a tiny woman with a strong sense of humour and a great laugh. They've both liked her, instantly. He looks down at her now, blinking against hazy eyes, trying to keep some semblance of control of himself. 
"I believe you have some words for each other?" she asks with a kind smile. They must look absolutely shellshocked, standing here at last in this beautiful space, under a white pergola. Eddy can smell the bouquets of flowers that surround them and he takes a deep breath, then looks at his love encouragingly.
Brett nods and clears his throat. 
"It's been about six years since I last said something like this, so forgive me if I'm a little rusty." he quips, and the little crowd behind them starts laughing. Eddy laughs too. Brett is so funny, he always was, but now he's learned how to time it, too, how to land the joke in such a way that the whole audience erupts. They've learned how to do that together, in fact, feeding off each other, giving, becoming more than just Brett and Eddy. 
"And also, because it's so long ago, I can't remember what I said, exactly. But I remember it was in a beautiful garden, I remember that Ben was there." 
Brett smiles at the monk, who is there, in the second row, his brother Lee beside him. Ben smiles back and bows his head to them both. 
"I remember saying something then about how much I love you. That I had always loved you, and always would, and that I would go with you wherever life took us."
A small ripple of emotion pulls through their friends and family and Eddy sniffles so he doesn't ugly cry. 
"I think we've kept that promise pretty well, so far." Brett carries on, his voice soft but it manages to carry. "And I will continue to live it, with you. I'm still the luckiest guy in the world for being by your side."
Silence falls over the group of people on the field, the seconds tying together like they've lost all cohesion. Eddy knows it's his turn to speak, but he's so touched by Brett's words that it's hard to. He swipes at the tear on his cheek and then grins. 
"Yeah, I wasn't gonna cry, but we all know that wasn't about to come true, right?"
The crowd behind them laughs again. 
"Okay." he nods. "So I remember that day, too. I remember how beautiful it was, that you were really mine. We've come a long way, you and me. You're the sun, the moon and the stars to me, Bretty. I'm nothing without you. I'm so glad with the path we've chosen. I will continue to love you, cherish you, no matter what, until the day I die."
"I love you." Brett whispers, blinking hard. He's managing not to cry, though. Of course. Some things never change. Eddy smiles and rubs the back of his index finger over his love's cheek. 

Todd is the one bringing the rings. The same ones, of course. How could it be any different? Nothing else could ever have done. They're lying on a silk cushion that he holds out to them with flourish that makes the front rows chuckle. 
"You gave this ring to me in my bedroom, so long ago. As a promise."  Eddy says thickly, as he takes the ring from the cushion and puts the it on Brett's finger, where it belongs. "Today we fulfil that promise."
Oh, he remembers that Eddy. Young. Insecure. So scared of the world. Brett smiles at him as he takes his hand in turn. How different they both are now, it's hard to imagine that he was ever that Eddy. Brett winks at him and pulls him back into this moment, this precious, most perfect of moments.
"It was always going to be you." he says simply, and he puts the ring on his finger.
For now. 
They'll take them off again, of course. The world takes no part in their union, that's theirs alone, theirs and their loved ones'. But they'll wear them at home. And maybe, one day, they'll wear them full time. Who knows? 
"By the powers invested in me, I now pronounce you: married!" the master of ceremony proclaims proudly and the crowd erupts in whoops as Brett leans forward and kisses him softly, gently, chastely on the mouth, but the tongue that peeps through his soft mouth gives him the promise of later. 

Then he grabs his hand and they are laughing freely as they run through the aisle together, past all the people they love who are cheering them on, whooping and clapping, and on towards the rest of their lives. 

Together. 

=======================================================================

A/N. So... I can't believe it, guys, but this is it. The End. Almost 500 chapters of Andante, who ever could have thought? It's been such a great ride writing it for the past years, and I want to thank all of you, readers, from the bottom of my heart, for commenting, for forming a community with me, for starring, for reading. This fandom is like a warm bath of kindness in a sometimes harsh world and I love you all for that.
So, having said all that: I have good news!! Andante may have ended, but... I couldn't just leave all these characters behind. So head on over to my NEW story, called Broken String. You can find the link through my profile or click the link in the comments!

And here is the surprise I've promised you all: it will be a completely new story, suitable to read for anyone who hasn't read Andante at all, but... all of our friends will be back in this completely new storyline that I'm already hopelessly lost in.
Todd and Ian, and their developing relationship will be back.
Lily, and her new daughter, sweet Edlyn, will be back. Eddy's mum and his sister, Brett's parents, they will all be back.
There will just be one small little insignificant difference: at the beginning of this story, Brett and Eddy are... just best friends. :-O

I love you all so much, please come and read again, and from here I'm wishing you all a warm and loving holiday season!
Lots of love, Author-san. 

ia this