vi.

UNEDITED. I WANT COMMENTS YALL R SO QUIET OMG.

Melinda:

"Where's your princess at?" Maya asked causing me to break from my thoughts. We were walking down Times Square, Maya thinking it'll be 'romantic' if we walked through the city to pick a restaurant together. I haven't uttered one word since we left the office together, my anxiety sparking in my chest.

I was with a complete stranger who could kill me at any moment. I read a book like that. She had a one night stand just to find out she was a damn serial killer!

With my luck in dating, that just might be the case here too.

"My mom." I muttered causing her to grin widely.

"I caught you at the perfect time then."

"Mhmm."

"Hey, what's with the attitude, ma? Seriously." She asked as she stopped walking, lifting my chin for me to look at her. I pushed her hand away from my face and rolled my eyes.

"Because I know how this goes already. You're going to pretend that you want to get to know me, fill me up with liquor so you can get what you want and leave me in the dust."

"I wouldn't have to get you drunk to do that, that's one. And two, I don't treat women that way."

"Oh yeah? I'm supposed to just take your word for it?" I asked harshly as I glared up at her causing her to suck her teeth.

"I don't know who hurt you this bad, but I just want to get to know you a little better-"

"Yeah, so I can be your next painting right?" I scoffed sarcastically. She pressed her lips together and nodded and it kind of scared me.

"You know what..maybe this isn't going to work. I'll call you an Uber back to your job so you can get your car to go home." She huffed, her eyes slightly watering from frustration causing me to suddenly feel bad. I watched as she pulled out her phone while mumbling in French.

She's French?

"Wait, wait-I'm sorry. I'm just tired."

"Do you push everyone away like this?"

"Never had the opportunity to considering they always do it first."

She stayed quiet for a moment as she stared at me, before sighing and grabbing my hand and kissing the top causing me to gasp slightly.

"I'm not going to keep pushing you if you're not ready, alright? Let me take you back and maybe next time-"

"I'm sorry. I ruined the evening with my pessimism haven't I?" I asked grudgingly.

"Just..a little." Maya laughed causing me to giggle before shaking my head.

"There's that pretty smile. Come on, there's a diner around here. We can share a milkshake like in the movies."

"Wow..she's a hopeless romantic." I chuckled sarcastically.

"Sometimes."

"Chocolate or vanilla?" Maya asked from across the table. I shrugged, feeling myself grow nauseous at the thought of pigging out in front of her.

"You choose-"

"Chocolate or vanilla?" She asked again with more intensity as she looked up at me from behind the menu. I swallowed hard and crossed my legs as I looked away from her intense stare.

"Cookies and cream-"

"Perfect. We'll have that and I'll take the deluxe bacon cheeseburger with extra pickles and a side of large fries." I looked up at her with wide eyes as she continued to order half the menu before looking at me.

"And you, queen?" She asked causing my cheeks to heat up at the nickname.

"I'll take the chicken salad."

"That's it?" She asked. I nodded and she sighed before shaking her head.

"She will ALSO get a deluxe bacon cheeseburger, put the toppings on the side so she can choose which ones she wants, along with a large fries. Thanks." Maya grinned as she handed the waitress the menus. I just continued to stare at her in utter shock, not being used to such dominance.

"What if I didn't want-"

"You're just trying to play cute. Eat, girl. Ain't nothing to be ashamed of."

"Damn it, you know the game so well huh?"

"Chess not checkers." She winked causing me to giggle before rolling my eyes.

"You're lucky I'm hungry."

"So, how did you start working with Amelia?"

"Oh, you're on a first name basis huh?" I chuckled causing her to smirk.

"Her wife is my cousin on my fathers side. We don't talk much considering her family alienated from mine due to societal differences."

"Oh. She didn't mention that."

"Why would she? We only met this once. My brothers and I aren't invited to family gatherings. We didn't even get an invite to their wedding."

"Oh wow.."

"Yeah. That's Haitian family values for you-"

"You're Haitian?!" I squealed causing most of the restaurant to turn around and look at us. She nodded slowly with a confused look on her face and I giggled while blushing.

"I'm sorry for getting so excited. I'm Haitian too. Well half." Her eyes widened as she analyzed my face while trying to put the pieces together.

"I mean..there's plenty of light bright Haitians, but your features-"

"I'm half Puerto Rican and I have Dominican as well from my fathers side. He's Haitian but his great grandmother was considered mulatto."

"Ah, yes. My great grandfather was a mulatto as well. The light skinned gene skipped me though. I'm the darkest of my siblings."

"Me too."

We stared at each other in silence for a second, a soft smile plastered on her face as her eyes analyzed mine.

"So let me guess..you're the black sheep?"

"How did you-"

"I just know. The divide between Hispanics and Haitian people is a very thin line. My grandma on my mothers side is full Haitian but speaks Spanish so fluently you wouldn't even think. It's sad, but we are afro-latina and should embrace our roots instead of running away from it."

I sat quietly as I thought about her words for a second. My entire life I've been told to erase my blackness and its gotten me nowhere but hurt and abandoned.

"Yeah..let me help you get back in touch with your roots-"

"MAYA?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" We heard someone yell from across the diner. We both looked over at the short dark skinned woman who stormed over angrily and my fantasy was ruined.

I knew it was too good to be true.

"Chelsea, what the hell do you want?"

"You know what I want. I've been calling you for weeks and you're here on a date with some fat bitch?!"

"Whoa wh-"

"Yeah, I'm out. Fuck this." I hissed as I stood and threw money on the counter before scurrying out of the diner, leaving Maya calling my name. The tears streamed down my face as the embarrassment filled my body intensely. I knew this was a bad idea, yet I still ignored my gut.

And now we were back to square one. Where I should've stayed to begin with.