xxiv.

UNEDITED!! I WANT COMMENTS OR NO SMOOT.

Melinda:

"W-what do you mean I've been summoned? I just placed a restraining order on him." I hissed as I tried to calm the anxiety attack that was building in the pit of my stomach.

"Melinda, it says as a witness. Was he convicted of something?" Maya asked as she stepped forward before grabbing the paper from my hand.

"Yes. He was convicted of rápe in the third degree and you were called as a witness. Have a good evening." The woman walked off and I stared down at the ground as I tried to process what was happening.

"Third degree? That bloody pervert had sex with a minor.." Amelia hissed causing me to turn around.

"That's what that means?" I asked and all three of them nodded and I let out a shaky breath as I slowly sat down, my body trembling as I tried to calm my breathing.

"Water, water please." Maya hissed causing Amelia to scurry to the fridge. She grabbed one and handed it to me and I slowly took a sip as I tried to understand my emotions. I was disgusted, but also pleased to hear that I wasn't in any sort of trouble and it was him that was.

"That means he pled not guilty so they're taking it to trial. When you filed the restraining order, you explained to them the situation remember?" Maya breathed causing me to nod as I took another sip.

"So that means the victim needs me to help her convict him for his charge..Statutes of limitations..it's only been six years." I whispered causing Maya to nod.

"Oh, sweetheart. How are you feeling?" Amelia asked as she rubbed my shoulders. I sighed, swallowing back my tears as I thought about Avery.

"My child is a blessing, but I'm more than willing to tell my side of things in court if it will help her. I thought he was filing for custody, that's why I was so freaked out I didn't hear the witness part. I think this is God answering our prayers." I stated quickly as I looked at Maya with wide eyes.

"He won't be able to get any sort of custody for Avery if he has this on his record-"

"Oh Maya..I was so scared for a second."

"I found the article right here. Defense attorney Tyler Shaw has been arrested on the count of having sexual relations with a fifteen year old girl-"

"I'm gonna be sick." I gagged, grabbing the garbage can and retching into it, emptying my stomach as my thoughts churned. Maya rubbed my back as she cursed in French. I moaned, dabbing my face so my makeup wouldn't be ruined.

"What else does it say?" I asked hoarsely as I cleared my throat. Casey shook her head, looking over at me with concerned eyes causing Maya to grab the phone and read through it.

"H-he um..he got her pregnant and her parents found out and are pressing charges against him." Maya whispered. I stayed silent for a second, my heart rate escalating to the point where I felt as if I couldn't speak. But then I cleared my throat, the stray tear falling down the corner of my eye as I nodded before standing up.

"Good for them. Glad to know she has parents who care more about her than their image. Let's go-"

"Wait. Wait. Are you okay? You're trembling.." Maya breathed as Amelia and Casey started to walk toward the door. I heard a sniff and I looked over and saw Casey holding Amelia as she cried quietly into her chest.

"Amelia, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Just..resurfaced some memories that's all." She sniffed, Casey wiping her eyes gently so her makeup wasn't ruined.