xxxii.

UNEDITED

Melinda:

"Yes..yes I'll marry you!" I squealed. The most beautiful smile broke across mayas face and she stood, immediately hugging me and lifting me up as if I was as light as a feather, kissing me deeply causing everyone's cheers to come to a halt from shock. I moaned into her mouth, our tongues touching visibly.

"Enough! Damn! I'd like to have an appetite!" Manou yelled causing everyone to laugh as I blushed while pulling away. I saw Avery covering her eyes and I giggled harder.

"Oh you sneaky lady!" I cried as Maya slipped the engagement ring on top of the promise ring. It was bigger and even more shinier, the tears streaming down my face as my inner child danced in my head.

"And you! You lied straight to my face!" I pointed at Amelia causing her to chuckle as she nodded. I leaned down and lifted my daughter up, kissing her face as she squealed.

"Oh you all are so sneaky! I love you guys so much!" I sniffed as I held Avery to my body. Amelia wrapped her arms around my waist and I smiled before looking around.

"Where's Casey?" I asked causing Amelia to pout.

"Cammy's down with a cold so she decided to stay in with her because Selena is sick too. However, Avery here has been a real helper by taking care of her friend! Isn't that right, boo?" Amelia asked as she tickled Avery's stomach causing her to giggle.

"Yes, i used the thermometer to check Cammy's temperature and gave her a kiss because kisses always makes everyone feel better, right?" Avery grinned. I slowly looked at Maya who was chuckling while shaking her head before looking at Amelia who seemed to think it was just as innocent as Avery.

Well..we will see in the future.

"Let's get drunk!"

"Mmmm, my baby..my fiancée.." I moaned drunkenly into Maya's ear as we swayed back and forth to the slow song. It was late, Avery passed out under the table with Amelia who was snoring loudly. She was already drinking from before we arrived and was out like a light with Avery in her arms. Most of the people who were invited had said their goodbyes, it mostly being co workers and some of Maya's family.

"Yeah, mama?" Maya asked in my ear.

"I love you." I whispered as I kissed her neck. She chuckled and rubbed my back. She wasn't as drunk as me, but usually she never was. She always allowed me to enjoy myself and she watched over me like a guardian Angel.

"You're my guardian Angel."

"You're drunk."

"For you."

Maya chuckled as she held me closer, but panicked as Amelia ran over to me while grabbing my shoulders.

"A-amaya is in labor." She slurred causing my eyes to widen as I looked at Maya.

"Come with me.." Amelia whined as she grabbed my hand and I nodded, watching as Maya lifted a sleeping Avery up. We walked to the car, Maya strapping Avery in before pushing Amelia into the car causing her to whine again.

"Why is she whining?" Maya grumbled causing me to giggle.

Because she's a big baby. I know her little secret.

"I'll call Casey, mkay?" I giggled, slipping into the passengers seat.

"What hospital?"

"Presby."

"We're here for Amaya, she's in labor and delivery." Amelia hiccuped causing the nurse to eye us skeptically. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, watching as she scrolled through the sign in sheet.

"Room 210."

Amelia grabbed my hand and we ran to the room, gasping at the sight of Amaya holding the small child to her chest. Her mom stood next to her, wiping her tears as they both stared down at the baby.

"Knock knock.." Amelia grinned as we both walked inside, Amaya looking up at us with a large smile.

"Thank you so much for coming." Amayas mom sniffed and I walked over, giving her a tight hug before hugging Amaya.

"My goodness, he is so precious.." I breathed, my voice shaky as I stared down at the gorgeous newborn. He looked like Avery when she was born and it made my eyes overflow with tears.

"He's healthy. He just slipped right out." Amaya sighed. Amelia sat on the other side before sighing as she wiped her face.

"My mom decided that I can keep the baby, but there's some conditions." Amaya smiled looking at Amelia who's eyes were wide as she nodded.

"Since we did already discuss him going with you, my mom asked if you're willing to let me stay with him at your home? We don't have enough space and-"

"Whatever you need. Seriously." Amelia breathed as she grabbed Amaya's hand. I smiled at both of them, clearing my throat as that feeling started to creep back up again, but instead I fought it away as I stared down at my engagement ring.

I'm getting the life I deserve, so there's no reason to dwell anymore. This baby needs us and I will be there no matter what.

"I was thinking..Axel. It means a man of peace. I have a feeling he's going to be the most gentle person ever." Amaya stated, causing me to grin.

"I think that's perfect. Did they say when you're going to go home?" I asked.

"No. They want to keep her for observation because she had a breathing complication while in labor. They said they saw fluid in her lungs." Amaya's mom responded.

"Yeah..the doctors were so rude to me. I guess it's because I'm so young." Amaya sighed.

"Yeah, they're going to do that. Just remember to advocate for yourself and your needs, okay?" I reassured her. She nodded, her eyes suddenly glazing over causing me to grow concerned.

"Are you okay?"

"Amaya?" Amelia asked as she shook her shoulder. Amaya didn't move, being completely frozen when suddenly there was a loud beeping noise causing all of us to panic.

"Amaya!" Amayas mom yelled as she shook her daughter, but she didn't move, Amelia taking the baby and placing him into his incubator as the doctors rushed inside.

"What's happening?" I asked in panic, watching as the blood started to pour out of her from between her legs.

"She's in shock. We have to take her to surgery-"

"I told you! I told you something was wrong!" Amayas mom yelled as they started to rush Amaya toward the O.R.

"She's gonna be okay. She's gonna be okay, mom." I breathed as I tried to console her mother who was in shambles.

"Complications run in the family. I told them but they said she's fine. I don't-"

"Breathe. Breathe. It's okay." Amelia and I chanted as Amaya's mom tried to calm down. We walked to the waiting room and sat down, the wait being more than three hours.

"It's been too long. Somethings wrong." Amayas mom sniffed. I felt the same way but I didn't say anything, praying that my gut feeling was wrong.

It wasn't, the surgeon walking over to us while covered in blood from head to toe, shaking his head causing Amaya's mom to drop to her knees as she cried into my chest.

"No...no..." She sobbed, my own tears dripping down my face. These doctors don't care when you're young and black, and this is the result of their negligence.

"..expect to hear from my lawyers! Every single fùcking one of you!" Amelia screamed at the top of her lungs, her face red as the tears streamed down her face.

"Amelia..the baby..you need to take him home, okay?" Amaya's mom suddenly stated as she slowly stood up with shaky legs.

"I'm so sorry." Amelia cried as she hugged the woman. Amayas mom shook her head, pulling away slightly as she tried to hold her composure.

"I don't want to see any of you or that baby ever again. That rotten man took my child's innocence and now her life. Axel is all yours. Just...leave me the fuck alone."