xi.

Unedited

Mel:

"I cannot believe you got me high.." I whined as I stared at Amelia who just giggled. She was in her hello kitty pajamas and I was in a pair of sweats that she gave me. The girls were playing in Cameron's mansion of a room, and Amelia managed to convince me to take a few hits from her blunt on her balcony.

It started off as a tour of the lovely home, it being huge but cozy. Even their dog Cheez-it has his own room with an actual playground for him to entertain himself with. Their nanny lived in the basement, the basement being the size of my damn apartment.

We watched as they worked in the backyard, Maya and Casey putting together a little shed for Amelia for when she gets in her moods.

"Sometimes I just need space from the world. Casey's the only one who seems to understand." Amelia sighed as she inhaled before handing it to me. I shook my head, already unable to breathe automatically.

"I understand."

"I know you do. It's why I like you." Amelia chuckled causing me to chuckle too. We stayed silent for a second, my low eyes staring down at Maya who was silently working. It was like she was in the zone, and I couldn't help but admire her work ethic.

She's so beautiful.

"I don't understand why you don't just give her a chance. Did stuff with your daughters father go left?" Amelia asked.

"Oh please, he's the least of my concerns. It's not him. I just don't trust people in general. I feel like they're always out to get me."

"But why?" Amelia asked.

"You just want to know my business-"

"I was a foster child. I was beat, ráped, knifed, bullied. You name it, I dealt with it. It's no secret anymore considering TMZ aired everything about me."

"I didn't know-"

"Because you actually like minding your business, and I really love that about you. Besides Casey, I never really had an assistant that didn't take advantage of me or my life. You actually treat me like a human and not some..heartless monster." Amelia sighed while staring into the distance.

"I got pregnant at eighteen by my brothers best friend." I breathed as I stared at the sun starting to set.

"Consensual?" Amelia asked. I shrugged, still trying to figure that out on my own. I remember the day after, my tights ripped and vomiting from the worst hangover I've ever had.

"I really don't..know. Maybe? I-uh..he was living with us for a couple of years. We never got along, but then one day he confessed that he was attracted to me. He was cute, but I knew it was wrong so I called it quits. I guess he didn't like that I broke it off with him. I went to a graduation party and got really trashed. I don't even know how I got home...next day I woke up sore, tights ripped and half naked in my bedroom. I do remember him kissing me but that's it. I was drunk.." I sniffed as I stared down at my hands.

"He did apologize, and that's when I found out I was pregnant about a month and a half later. He said he was drunk too and I just looked good and he had to have me..but I didn't remember so I was like we had sex? And then I told him I was pregnant and he just...flipped out. Suddenly he had somewhere to live and couldn't stay with my parents anymore. He didn't talk to me, didn't ask about the baby...not one appointment was with him. I dealt with it by myself. So no, I don't know if it was consensual because I don't remember. But I didn't ask to go through all of that by myself. My mom hated me for getting pregnant, and all my siblings trashed me especially my brother.  So a few years after Avery was born.. I finally told them who the father was and they said they knew..she looks just like him and they just wanted me to be the one to say it."

"Oh fuckers!" Amelia growled and I sighed as I shook my head while wiping my face from the tears of embarrassment.

"It doesn't matter. I left, and I take care of my daughter by myself. No one can take that pride away from me. I don't get child support, I tried but I don't even know anything about him. So I just deal with it."

"I'm so sorry-"

"No no. Listen..I don't regret having Avery. I just wish the circumstances were different. I still graduated high school and have two degrees under my belt. I've been in shelters, I've couched hopped and I busted my ass to get to where I am now. Ain't nothin to be sorry for."

"Well..just know you have people who care about you and commend you for being so strong. You are beautiful and you deserve to feel like it too. You are also brilliant which is why I hired you without even giving anyone else a glance. I think you should give Maya a chance. Just try."

"I don't know.."

"You do know. I see it everytime you look at her. Come on, Melinda. Have some fun. Go down there and take what's yours." Amelia growled after her sentence while shaking her fists causing me to laugh before groaning.

"If this goes wrong-"

"You are more than welcome to spank me."

"Amelia."

"You're right. Erm...I say try and see where it goes with no expectation."

I sighed before rolling my eyes lazily and nodding  causing her to squeal and jump on my lap while hugging me to her body.

"Do you need practice on kissing?"

"Amelia! Behave!" I hissed playfully causing her to giggle before nodding.

"Dinner was amazing. Thank you so much, Casey." I breathed as I started to clean up after myself.

"I got it." Maya breathed as she grabbed my plate, her front grazing against my back causing my eyes to meet Amelia's who was too busy feeding the girls ice cream.

"Avery, I'll see you tomorrow okay baby?" I asked as I leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"I love you mama, I'll see you later."

"Take care of her or I'll beat you up." I chuckled at Amelia as I gave her a hug.

"Go beat that pussy up."

I pushed her away from home causing her to laugh before giving Casey a hug. Maya offered to walk me to the door and I nodded, both of us walking outside as I waited for my Uber.

"Seems like you had a good night with Amy." Maya started as she took a step forward. I nodded shyly as I looked away but gasped as she pulled me to look at her.

"Stop shying away from me. How about a night cap?" She asked as she stepped forward again. Amelia's voice echoed in my thoughts and I sighed before smiling.

"Alright. Tito's downtown. Tacos and tequila."

"Yes ma'am."