xx.

Two months later..

Melinda:

"Okay, everyone! It's officially one week until our gallery opening! Thanks to Ms. Mendez, all of our catalogues are in place, and our gallery has been booked and is currently being set up for our opening." Amelia squealed, everyone clapping their hands in the large conference room. It's been almost four months since Maya and I first met, and things have been changing drastically.

Her and I grew even closer after our brunch date. I wasn't sure what happened, or if God was really that quick, but things started to look up from that moment. Avery and I haven't heard from or seen Tyler, and Maya and I have been inseparable. She came over almost every night, and we'd spend time with Avery and even started praying and reading the Bible together. We haven't had any sex since that night in my bedroom, but we shared intimacy in other ways which was just as fulfilling. We go to the gym together, we cook dinner together and we talk for hours at a time.

It wasn't on purpose, but us being able to connect without touching each other was even more of a sign that this really might be it, but part of me was still scared to accept it.

"Any words, Ms. Mendez? I love that dress, by the way." Amelia grinned causing me to smile appreciatively as I stood up. I was in a vintage pencil dress that had an open collar, my heels holding my legs greatly. I looked over at Maya and saw her grin causing me to smile.

"Just..let's get ready for this opening. Many investors will be there and hopefully we keep our status quo with the investors we already have." I responded causing everyone to nod in agreement.

"Have a good rest of the evening, everyone."

Amelia and I watched as everyone grabbed their things and scurried out of the conference room, leaving her Maya and I standing there in contentment.

"Is Avery with your mum?" Amelia asked as she slipped on her trench coat.

"Yes, she wanted to sleep over last night, but I'll be picking her up tonight."

"Oh okay, Cameron is asking for her. Ever since the ballet season ended, she's been nothing but nostalgic about their sleepovers."

"We can definitely plan something." Amelia walked over and kissed my cheek before tapping Maya's shoulder and walking out, leaving us two in the room.

"Wanna get Avery now and go out for dinner?" Maya asked as she slipped my jacket over my shoulders.

"Of course."

The ride to my moms house was calm, us chatting about small things and listening to music. The vibe was always comfortable between us even when we were quiet and I loved every second of it. I looked over at her a few times, the butterflies traveling from my stomach and up to my chest.

Just tell me you love me, already.. I thought, smiling when she looked over at me before looking away shyly. She parked the car and shut it off before sighing and looking over at me with a smile.

"You want me to come inside?"

"Yes."

Maya's eyebrows lifted slightly and I smiled before leaning over and kissing the side of her face. She always waited for us in the car, but this time I wanted her to come in with me. She knows about my childhood so I always made sure we steered clear.

But tonight, I wanted to show them the real me and they have no choice but to accept it.

"Come on. I gave my mom money to get Avery's hair braided today so I know she's excited to show me." I chuckled causing Maya to smile as we got out of the car. We walked up the stairs and I knocked on the door, my brother opening it before looking between Maya and I and rolling his eyes.

"Mom, Satan is here."

"Yeah? I didn't know I was a mirror." I spat back causing him to suck his teeth and walk away. I chuckled as I looked at Maya who was grilling the back of Thomas' head before looking at me with a smirk.

"Just give me the word and I'll do it-"

"Behave, hon." I chuckled back. I heard footsteps and watched as my mom walked down the stairs, my face immediately dropping as I saw Avery.

"Who's this?" My mother asked but I didn't answer her as Avery walked over with sad eyes, her hair the straightest it's ever been in her life as it laid down her back.

"What did you do?" I hissed at my mother causing her to scoff and roll her eyes.

"I used the money you gave me to get her hair done like you asked-"

"I told you braids. Cornrows."

"I got it relaxed instead. I didn't want her nappy headed like you."

I looked at Maya who had her jaw dropped as she stared at my mother in disgust, before looking up at the ceiling while shaking my head while trying to calm down.

"Mama, my head hurts. It burns." Avery sniffed causing me to look at my mother who just shrugged while flipping her dark hair over her shoulders.

"She looks cute. You had that mess on her head for too long. I couldn't-"

"Fuck you!" I spat causing my mother and Maya to gasp.

"Maya, take Avery to the car."

"Please stay calm, okay?" She whispered in my ear as she squeezed my hand before grabbing Avery and walking out of the house.

"Don't tell me you're with a girl, Melinda. Ugh! You could never just be normal, can you? I blame your father-"

"He's a better parent than you, and that says a lot. I'm sick of you, I'm sick of all of you. I try time and time again to be forgiving and graceful but you do not deserve it. You permed my child's hair without even asking me! Because you know you're fucking wrong-"

"Watch your mouth!" My mother hissed as she stepped forward and slapped me across the face. But before she could react, I slapped her back with just as much force, causing her to fall to the ground as she held her face while looking at me in shock.

"Are you..are you kidding me?" She asked shakily as she stared up at me with a look of malice.

"You know who you spread your damn legs for. You can't accept my blackness, fine. But my daughter, ma? Are you fucking serious?! She's MY daughter. Not yours. Best believe this is the last time any of you will ever see us again!" I yelled before walking out of the house and slamming the door so hard that the screen door broke apart.

I was absolutely fuming, walking to the car and getting inside, slamming the door shut. I was trying my best to calm my breathing, Maya grabbing my trembling hand causing me to look over at her.

"Breathe in, and breathe out. Vengeance it's not yours.."

"It's the Lord's. It's the Lords. Gosh, she's so conniving! She's never coming here again." I sobbed as the tears streamed down my face. I was completely heart broken. My daughters hair has never been straightened in her life. Not even for her recital. Her hair was full and healthy, her 4-C curls full of volume.

Now it was ruined because of my mothers anti-blackness.

"Don't worry, baby. It'll grow out, okay? I'll help with her hair from now on. I promise..just take a deep breath. When we get home I'll wash it with cold water so her scalp can cool down, okay?"

"Okay." I sniffed as I wiped my face. She leaned in and placed a soft kiss on my lips before sighing and driving off, Avery being asleep in the backseat. I could smell the heat damage from here and it pissed me off further, the smell of burnt hair filling my nostrils.

I'm going to kill them.