The Beginning

I wipe my hands as I look at the pile of thugs who tried to rob a candy store. What are they, five? I hear some people shouting and I take that as my cue to book it. I watch in the shadows as I see the authorities take away the thugs. My work is done here. I adjust my backpack and walk off.

My name is (Y/N) (L/N). And I am alone. I live in a land called Ninjago. It's a place filled with a lot of history and a lot of unique people. And yet, I have no one. I was left on the doorstep of an orphanage with a note that had my name and birthday, but nothing else. I was known for being weird and people would often avoid me. I left that place at nine-years-old because of ..... A-Anyway, I have been traveling ever since. It's been tough but I have learned a lot on the streets.

And one of those things, is to not let wrong doings go unpunished. I stumble on a lot of idiots who do all kinds of 'breaking-the-law', stuff and making fun of others. I hate bullies and often put an end to their actions. I didn't want to be thanked, not because I didn't like attention. Okay, I don't like having a lot of eyes on me. But because I was afraid that they would see me as....weird? I was abandoned so I have issues, okay?!

But this is the life I have become accustomed to. I don't know what else my life could be. I pull down my hood to cover my face as I walk through a small village. But then I feel a presence and I walk faster and made a sharp turn into an alleyway. I look to see if I was being followed, only to see no one.

I heard some slurping and quickly turn around and assume a fighting stance only to find an old man wearing white robes and a straw hat on his head. He had a long white beard and I noticed he had a bamboo staff lying next to him. But the old man was sitting on the ground and drinking tea. I lift a brow in confusion but didn't let my guard down.

He kept drinking his tea until he was satisfied and lowered it onto his lap. He looks at me with soft eyes but I could also see that they have seen a lot. "Forgive me, I did not mean to startle you." He speaks gently. I loosen my stance but still keep my wits about. This guy could be trouble. But then again, who drinks tea while conversing with a stranger like it was a normal day in the park?

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wu. And I have been keeping an eye on you." Okay, creepy. "But I am not here for any trouble, I am here to give you an offer." He says. I lower my arms a little and give him a questioning look. "It is your decision. If you say no then I will leave you alone." He tells me. I think about it for a bit then finally drop my guard.

I cross my arms and look at him with a neutral expression, "Okay, I'm listening." I said. "There are dark times approaching and Ninjago is in need of help. You have a power within that can greatly assist in protecting the land and the people. But again, if you choose to decline, I won't force you." He explains.

I lower my gaze and think about what he said. This guy could be loony, crazy, insane, or all of the above. But the thing is, his eyes did not hold any lies. He was speaking the truth. But this was all of a sudden. I mean, I've been alone for a long time and suddenly I could have a home.

And what did he mean by power? Maybe..... just maybe, I could no longer be alone. I close my eyes and take a deep breath through my nose. "Okay." I agree. But when I look up, the old man was gone. "Wonderful." I jump and look behind me to find he was up and already walking out of the alley. I was surprised but shook my head and start following him.

"So, where are we going?" I ask him. He didn't look back nor stop walking, "I prefer not to answer. Make it a surprise, you could say." He answers. I give him a look but say nothing as we continue onward.

I guess what I read in a book was true, 'The most unusual things happen in the most unusual ways.'