33

Under the mask,

I'm hidden by loneliness

Soyoung felt waves of emotions crash onto her at the sight of the male who made her feel at ease, but she refused to show it, masking her face with a stoic gaze

A few scrapes decorated his skin- one right on his bicep which every time he moved his arm made fresh blood resurface the gash and his pale knuckles bruised in a light shade of red and purple but when he noticed that the slash on her neck reopened, smearing her shoulder with blood and her disheveled figure that was trying to catch her breath in her mouth, he was alarmed- his black eyes rounded in absolute bewilderment and worry, and the sight of Xiaojun on the floor who seemed as the only potential threat in this room enraged him.

"Did he hurt you?" Mark asked in a low, hushed tone- a muscle in his jaw jumping as his eyes bored holes into Xiaojun's cold body. "Tried to" Soyoung replied, reclining against the wall for assistance, and instinctively, Mark felt the need to examine her to make sure she was safe and sound.

But the very moment he had taken a step towards her, she raised her hand up in the air bringing him to a halt, "I'm alright." She stated, not bothering to even look him in the eye and he sighed, nevertheless, steering away from her as she wished.

"What's going on upstairs?" She asked, blankly blinking at the fire that was about to set off, the smoke filling the room in a thick, white blanket.

Mark crouched down, placing his fingers on Xiaojun's neck, right below his ear, and felt his faint pulse thump against his fingertips, confirming that the male was alive. He then stood up while picking up the discarded chair and tugged the knife that dug into the wood out, scrutinizing it.

"Did he strike at you with this?" Mark arched his brow that had a piercing to it, and she wondered to herself as to how much she had stopped giving him attention to not notice the silver ring that adorned his brow but snapping out of her bubble, she nodded.

"Answer me" She insisted, slowly finding her body regain its composure and calm her nerves.

"Yeri and Doyeon are treating San- nothing too serious," He added once he took note of the rising concern in the girl's eyes, "And Chaeyoung is missing, which Yeonjun and Changbin are looking into. The rest are clearing the mess right now, so I decided to check up on you since Yeonjun warned me about Xiao." Mark jerked his chin in the direction of the dealer, concluding his brief explanation.

"Yeonjun knew this was gonna happen...?" Her voice sounded like she was in disbelief, well she most definitely was, surprised even that the informant intentionally left her to stay in the room by herself.

Mark chuckled lowly, seating himself down on the chair as his hands fiddled with the dagger that belonged to the owner who lay hostage before tossing it somewhere on the floor, "It was a test to see if Xiao had ulterior motives for joining us or not. Can call him our rival now that we know he's with Dragon."