𝗉𝗋𝗈𝗅𝗈𝗀𝗎𝖾. the victor

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
prologue , the victor

   The footsteps of the Career Tributes reverberated off the cold, concrete walls, the sound echoing through the musty tunnels. The only source of light came from the flashlights that the Tributes clutched tightly, illuminating the path ahead with a flickering glow.

In the distance, the sound of water splashing against rocks could be heard. The four children moved towards the sound, their bodies dehydrated and desperate for a sip of fresh water.

Nova licked her cracked lips, but her mouth was as dry as dust, devoid of any saliva. Her body was hypothermic, her skin turning a dark red color, and her knuckles tinged a light shade of blue. She shivered, clinging to her windbreak, her breath visible in the frigid air.

The tunnels were already cold, but the lack of water made everything seem twice as bad, amplifying their suffering to an unbearable extent.

Despite this, the fifteen-year-old girl seemed extremely focused on her surroundings. The tunnel system was dangerous and they often ran into hidden traps.

Nova led the way, with the sibling tributes from District One, Diana and Mattheo, behind her, and the male tribute from District Two brought up the rear.

Émile Vetto, an athletically built tanned boy. The jet-black haired boy looked almost divine with his sea-green eyes and the dimples that appeared when he smiled.

In District Two, the girls just raved about him and Nova grinned cheekily every time, because everyone knew that the raven haired coveted boy was her boyfriend.

With a lazy flick of her wrist, Nova twirled the gleaming blade between her fingers, its sharp point glinting in the dim light. Suddenly, the sound of footsteps echoed through the tunnel, causing her to freeze. She raised her hand, motioning for the other three tributes to fall silent. "Turn off the flashlights," she whispered, and they obeyed without question.

As they peered around the corner, barely twenty meters away, they saw a stream of neon pink water flowed from the dark depths, its vibrant hue casting an ethereal glow throughout the cavern.

A boy, whose face was unrecognizable in the dim light, stood with his back to the Career Tributes, unaware of the pairs of eyes lunging dangerously on him.

Diana pulled an arrow from her quiver and cocked it, but Nova pushed the bow down and shook her head, signaling the redhead to wait.

Diana gave her a dirty look. "What the hell are you doing?" she whisper-yelled.

Nova ignored the redhead and watched the boy through narrowed eyes.

Diana and Mattheo exchanged an impatient glance, but remained under cover, their hands nevertheless placed ready on their weapons.

The boy approached the water with a mixture of trepidation and desperation. The neon pink liquid appeared to emit a faint steam and tiny bubbles danced across its surface like a thousand sparkling jewels.

Despite the ominous appearance, the boy's thirst grew more urgent with every passing moment. His life depended on finding water, and he had to take the risk.