𝗈𝗇𝖾. a deadly punch in the gut

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
chapter 001 , a deadly punch in the gut

   The clouds stretched like a dark veil over District 2, threatening to swallow everything in their path. The sound of raindrops pattering against the window pane rang through the old-fashioned house. It was a soothing sound.

Nova looked out the window, lost in thought, and her fingers wandered absently over the keys of the piano, playing a soft melody.

As the rain fell gently from the sky, it danced with the snowflakes on the ground, creating a beautiful mix of white and brown mush. The girl, humming softly like a bee, observed the wondrous scene in front of her. The rose bushes, once tall and proud, now drooped low, their delicate heads weighed down by the cold. It was a melancholic yet serene moment, as nature continued its eternal cycle of life and death.

"Nova!"

A girl no older than eleven ran up to Nova, a cheeky grin gracing her pale lips and her light brown curls bouncing up and down. "Hey Eryn. How has practice been?"

The two hugged, and then the younger one sat down on her big sister's lap. Her innocent brown eyes sparkled with joy and the corners of her mouth twitched.

"Amazing! I learned how to fight with knives today. Just like you do."

Nova's stomach tightened and her mouth went dry, a sinking feeling spreading through her stomach, but she put on a smile.

"That sounds really exciting." The younger one nodded eagerly and then looked at the piano. The only noise was the TV running in the background and the pattering of raindrops.

"I'm tired," Eryn yawned, rubbing her eyes in demonstration. Nova grinned at her and pricked her fingers into the girl's sides, which made her squeal shrilly.

"Can you play me something?"

Nova delicately placed her fingers on the keys and took a deep breath before beginning to play the first melodies. Her fingers moved over the old piano with a feather-light touch, conjuring a magical atmosphere that enveloped the room.

The melody was a haunting one, with high notes that attempted to overshadow the darkness. Nova's voice, though soft and soothing, added a profound sadness to the already melancholic tune.

Eryn watched her sister with rapt attention, trying to memorize the way she played. A warmth spread through her body, and she leaned closer to Nova, feeling safe in her presence. Nova's voice was like a warm blanket, lulling her into a peaceful state.

But Nova couldn't help feeling a sense of sadness as she looked down at her little sister. Eryn was so pure and innocent, and yet the looming threat of the Hunger Games hung over her like a dark cloud. Nova's voice cracked momentarily at the thought, but she quickly regained her composure.

As Eryn began to drift off to sleep, Nova continued to play, her fingers moving rapidly over the keys. The fatigue of the day finally overtook the young girl, and she fell asleep to the soothing melody, her breathing becoming slower and slower until she was lost in a deep slumber.

Nova played the last notes of the song and sighed softly. Quietly and careful not to wake Eryn, the brown-haired woman carried the young girl to her room.

With a gentle touch, Nova laid her younger sister on the bed, brushing the light brown locks away from her peaceful face. Eryn's features were relaxed, and a faint smile graced her pale lips. Nova pressed a tender kiss to her forehead and covered her with the indigo bedsheets before switching on the night light. It was a small comfort for Eryn, who feared the unpredictable darkness and the unknown lurking within it.