𝗍𝗐𝗈. the capitols princess

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
chapter 002 , the capitols princess

   During the last night, Nova had never closed her eyes. How could she? Whenever she closed her eyes she was back in the arena.

The memories were fresher than ever, because now she actually had to go back there.

Every time she closed her eyes she was back in the cold dark tunnels. She saw before her eyes the dead tributes, how helpless they were.

They were all like hamsters in a cage and it was pure luck and skill whether one survived.

Nova heard the screams of the children as they drank acid and were eaten through from the inside out.

How the screams bounced off the hard walls and echoed tauntingly. The pain and hopelessness that resonated in the voice.

She felt her heartbeat quicken rapidly and her chest ache. Nova sat up straight and looked out the window.

The first rays of sunlight fell through her window. The rising sun cast a rosy hue across the morning sky. Golden fingers of sunlight lit up the scene. It was truly beautiful.

With trembling hands, Nova reached for the blind and pulled it aside to let more sunlight into the cold room.

The pain in her chest grew stronger and it felt like someone was cutting off the air. She gasped desperately for it and counted down from ten in her head. Slowly.

Her shallow breathing subsided and the pain in her chest also disappeared. All that remained was her racing heartbeat and her trembling body.

A knock on her door jolted her out of her concentration. In stepped Eryn, dressed in a beautiful white dress with red tulips on the skirt.

"Morning Supernova," she cheeped happily and ran towards her big sister. Nova hid her shaking hands and grinned at Eryn. "Did you sleep well little angel?"

Eryn nodded eagerly and flung herself onto Nova's bed, kicking up a little dust in the process.

The older sister ruffled through the younger's messy hair, making her chuckle and prostest.

"Mom sent me to tell you that she put a outfit in the bathroom for you. She said you should put it on now for the reaping."

The brown-haired girl nodded in understanding and stretched. Eryn noticed that Nova was not as usual. The little girl frowned.

"Nova?"

"Yes?"

"You're going to win this? You're going to come back to us, right?" Eryn sounded sad and Nova took the little one in her arms.

"Of course I will," she whispered in her ear, pressing a kiss to her sisters forehead. "Come on now. I'll take care of your hair. We want you to look pretty, don't we?"

▰▰▰

Pairs of eyes were fixed on the tribune. Peacekeepers stood everywhere, ready to intervene if something went off the rails.