𝗍𝗁𝗋𝖾𝖾. search for allies

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
chapter 003 , search for allies

   "I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the Games. Last year was child's play. This year, you're dealing with all experienced killers," Haymitch said, picking up a silver remote.

Peeta straightened up in his chair. His features were irritated. His mind was anxious and angered, just as Katniss', but he couldn't just hide it like her. His discomfort was openly displayed for the others around him to see. "Alright. What does that mean for us?"

Haymitch, with a glass of alcohol in his hand walked up and down. His drinking had actually lessened to some extent, but since the Quarter Quell announcement, he fell back into the hole. One that he couldn't seem to get out of.

Once again, he had to send not only kids to their deaths, but also those he knew. In all his years as a mentor, he had sworn to himself that he would not become attached to his tributes. It would cause him nothing but pain.

District 12 has always had the weakest tributes, in part due to food shortages and fragile kids, and there was never any hope that there would ever be a winner out of twelve.

Partly for this reason, Haymitch started drinking. It didn't help him forget all the pain, but at least it dulled it a little. Made it seem less. Even if the next day everything was twice as bad, Haymitch enjoyed the time when he felt weightless.

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies."

Haymitch gestured around with his hands to emphasize the importance of his words. He was aware that the two tributes would forget or even ignore his words as soon as he left, but he wanted to at least try. He wanted to give them a chance for survival, because even though he would never admit it, Katniss and Peeta were closed up in his heart.

Understanding, Peeta hummed and glanced at Katniss. The brunette seemed lost in thought. "Okay. I think that if-"

"You're not the problem," the mentor interrupted with a dismissive hand gesture. Then he pointed at Katniss.

The girl let out a huff. "No."

In her mind, it made no sense to ally with anyone. It would make her weak. She was stuck thinking about Rue. The little girl with a much purer soul than Katniss could ever have, who was murdered in such cold blood. Katniss' heart still contracted painfully when she thought back to her first Hunger Games.

When she closed her eyes, it wasn't Rue looking helplessly at her with lifeless, tear-filled eyes while her pulse weakened, but her sister Prim. No, allies were not an option.

Haymitch suppressed an eye roll. He knew it would be difficult with the girl, but he needed to be patient with her. If it wouldn't work, he would take matters into his own hands. He sat down across from the two tributes from District Twelve.

"Look, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years."

"That just puts us higher on their kill list," Katniss countered, completely averse from her mentors idea.

"Do it your own way, but I know these people. You go in alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. Both of you."

Peeta looked persuasively at Katniss, but the girl was stubborn, much to the boys distaste. "Katniss, come on."