𝗍𝗐𝖾𝗅𝗏𝖾. focus on me

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
chapter 012 , focus on me

   Finnick sat on the floor, his gaze empty and hollow, as if he was just a shell of the person he used to be. Nova carefully squatted in front of him, placing her hand on his shoulder. But there was no reaction. Finnick's eyes were still dilated and he seemed to be lost in his own world.

"Finnick? Are you okay?" Nova's voice was soft, afraid to startle him. She had no idea what he heard, but it didn't seem to be anything good. The question echoed in the air, a foolish phrase that hung heavy with the weight of the unsaid.

His eyes fixed on a spot on the floor, Finnick muttered, "Screams. I- I heard screams."

Nova looked back into his eyes, her hand still resting on his shoulder. "Mags. Annie. Agonized, their screams sounded through the jungle, like they were right here."

"Annie is in district four, Finnick. She's not here. Annie is safe. And Mags is...," Nova's voice trailed off, unable to continue.

"I know. I know that, Nova. But these birds imitate what they hear," he barked in a raised voice, his anger startling even himself.

Finnick was not one to show his anger. He always swallowed it and punished others with silence instead. But not now. Not when his mind was haunted by the screams that echoed in his ears.

"The screams stopped for a moment and I thought you were dead," he rambled on, his eyes darkening with each passing second.

Nova noticed that his body began to tremble. He avoided eye contact and bit his lower lip. "I thought you... I thought you were in danger. I thought you were dying."

Finnick buried his head in his hands, his voice choked with emotion. "I was just waiting for the cannon shot that would announce your death. I-"

Nova interrupted his chatter. She lifted his chin and pressed her lips on top of his. It was a short, but powerful kiss, filled with the taste of salt water and blood.

Finnick stopped talking and finally looked at Nova. "I'm all right, okay? I'm sitting in front of you, alive."

Finally, the traumatized boy seemed to understand the meaning of her words. He reached out and put his hand to her neck, feeling her pulse. And with that simple gesture, the world seemed to right itself again. But the memory of those screams still lingered.

Peeta attempted to console Katniss, but her disbelief was palpable.

"Your fiancé speaks the truth," Johanna chimed in, offering support to the young girl. "Your sister is loved by the entire country, Katniss. If they truly killed her in such a manner, they would surely incite a riot. And they wouldn't want that, now, would they?"

Johanna threw her head back and let out a maniacal laugh. "The entire country in turmoil? That would be quite the spectacle, wouldn't it?"

She picked up a few conch shells and declared, "I'm going to fetch some water," before disappearing into the dense jungle.

Katniss reached out to grab Johanna's hand. "Don't go in there. The birds..."