𝖿𝗂𝗏𝖾. we chose to kill

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
chapter 005 , we chose to kill

   The following night was bad. Nova was plagued by nightmare after nightmare. Each time she was back in her first Hunger Games and relived every single event.

"Please don't do this. Please," the girl pleaded, her eyes full of terror.

Mattheo nudged the defenseless girl tauntingly with the blade of his sword while Diana giggled to herself.

"Ah. What a dilemma, though. If only you hadn't run into our arms. Now we'll have to kill you, but don't worry. Your district partner is already waiting for you."

His voice was cold and without any compassion for the girl.

He pushed her closer and closer to the green water flowing out of the pipe. The girl whimpered, her lips trembled and tears rolled down her puffy cheeks.

"No. Plea-please have mercy. Please. I don't want to die," she begged.

Diana wiped the tears from the girl's cheek and looked at her with feigned pity. "Poor little thing. It'll only hurt for a short amount of time, then it'll all be over. Promise."

With these words she pushed the girl under the green shining water. The scream that came from the girl's throat was indescribable.

The green glowing water, or rather the acid, ran over her thin body and the skin peeled off down to the bone. Nova clasped her hand over her mouth, but she couldn't take her eyes off it.

It looked like the girl was melting, like an ice cream in the sun. The smell of burnt flesh spread through the tunnel corridor and made the Career Tributes gag.

Nova woke up with a bloodcurdling scream. Beads of cold sweat were on her burning forehead and her eyes were dilated in panic. She was paralyzed with fright and couldn't move. Not even when her door was yanked open and a sleepy James stood in the doorway.

She did not notice how he sat down next to her and took her in his arms. She did not hear any of his words, the only thing was a ringing in her ears and the racing beat of her heart pulsating under her fingertips.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," Nova whispered in a raspy voice, hot tears running down her cheeks.

His arms are tight around the frightened woman, like a big soft bear. She rested her head on his shoulder.

His smell of fresh lemons and grass lulled her like a comforting cloth and she focused her attention on his regular heartbeat.

"It's okay. You're okay. I'm here," James spoke in a gentle tone.

Slowly Nova calmed down and her tight grip on his nightgown loosened. She wiped the tears from her glowing cheeks and pulled up the snot in her nose.

"I'm sorry for waking you up."

The man kept his arms protectively around Nova and stroked circles over her back with his thumb. "It's okay. You know... I get them too. The nightmares. Every time I close my eyes I'm back there. I can practically feel it."