𝗇𝗂𝗇𝖾. sacrifices

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
chapter 009 , sacrifices

   Katniss stared at the ground and tried to keep her eyes open. She was tired, but she didn't trust Finnick nor Nova to assign either of them for guard duty.

Instead, she stayed awake herself, humming softly to herself.

"How's Peeta?"

Katniss slowly turned her head and looked at the tall man, walking towards her.

"He's okay, I think. Just dehydrated like the rest of us."

Finnick sat down near Katniss at a good distance. He didn't have his trident with him, which calmed Katniss down a bit. At least she didn't have to fear being pierced by his trident.

Out of the corner of her eye, Katniss saw Nova lying curled up like a dormouse next to Mags, her arms wrapped around her shivering body.

"She's caring. I didn't expected that."

Finnick followed her gaze, letting his eyes linger on the girl from District Two. "Heritage has nothing to say about a person."

The sky was brightly lit by the Capitol's coat of arms, which looked as if it were floating in the sky. The anthem played and roused Nova from her restless sleep.

Slowly she opened her eyes, the pale moonlight falling on her face.

The tribute from District Five was the first whose face shone in the sky. This meant that from one to four, everyone was still alive.

Next up followed the male Morfixer from District Six, the two Tributes from District Eight, the female Tribute from District Nine, the female from Ten and Seeder from Eleven.

After that, the Capitol crest appeared again and the sky darkened so that only the moon was left.

Nova felt relieved. James was still alive.

She wondered how he was doing. Had he found any water? Was he safe or even still on the move? Was he still out with Cashmere and Gloss?

So many questions, yet not a single answer.

Nova stretched out her legs and sat up. The holder of the knives pressed firmly into the flesh of her hip, but she didn't want to put it down.

Glancing at Mags, Nova noticed that the old woman was still asleep. A little further on, she saw Peeta sitting on the floor, leaning against a tree, his gaze still locked on the sky.

Quietly, without waking Mags, Nova went over to Peeta, sitting down next to him. The eyes of Katniss and Finnick were fixed on the two tributes.

"Have you recovered to some extent?"

Peeta nodded and pulled a patch of skin off his thumb. "Pretty much. My body feels quite hot, like a roasted chicken, despite the cold, and my legs are a little wobbly, but I'm not in pain anymore."

"Very good," Nova replied curtly, rubbing her hands together. Goosebumps covered her body and she shivered to herself.

"Take my hand," Peeta commanded. Nova tilted her head and raised her eyebrow. "What?"