𝖾𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍. the beginning of the end?

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
chapter 008 , the beginning of the end?

   Nova hadn't been able to get a wink of sleep all night. Neither did James. They lay in silence, relaxing in each other's presence as long as they could.

At dawn, Jame's stylists arrived and Nova had to leave his room. "See you soon," Nova mumbled and hugged her best friend tightly.

She breathed in his smell of fresh cut lemons one last time, a feeling of security spreading through her limbs.

"Yeah, see you soon." Nova waddled to her own room, where Perla was already waiting for her.

"Ready?"

Nova looked up at her stylist with bloodshot eyes and nodded.

Together they went to the hovercraft, where a doctor implanted a tracker in Nova's left forearm. It was an uncomfortable feeling to have a piece of metal in your arm that could track you anywhere.

Despite her lack of appetite, Nova nibbled on a freshly baked piece of bread. She knew she should eat more, but she couldn't force herself.

Just the smell of the food made her stomach twist.

When they arrived in start room of the arena Nova immediately went to take a shower. She washed the makeup from the night before off her face and lathered her body in the various shower foams.

It was her last bath before the arena — probably her last ever, so she wanted to make the most of the opportunity.

Perla tied the young woman's long hair in a simple ponytail. Nova put on underwear and then the stylist helped with the rest.

This year's arena outfit consisted of a tight-fitting blue jumpsuit made of gauzy fabric, zipped up at the back. In addition, a fifteen centimeter wide padded belt made of shiny purple plastic. Also, nylon shoes with rubber soles.

"What do you think?"

Perla examined the fabric and frowned. "The fabric is thin. It will offer little protection against wet and cold. Protection from the sun, maybe, if it's treated."

Nova tucked the two strands peeking out of her ponytail behind her ear.

"I think that's yours. I found it in your bedside table." Perla took a gold bracelet out of her bag and tied it around Nova's wrist. She bit her lower lip, then smiled gratefully at her stylist.

"I'm going to miss you, Perla."

Perla forced a smile to her lips, leaned forward and pretended to adjust the jumpsuit on Nova's neck.

"It's chiming every hour, but your time hasn't come yet," she whispered into the ear of the District Two tribute.

She then rested her forehead against Nova's and closed her eyes. "I'm counting on you, honey. I always will."

A voice prompted Nova to get ready for takeoff. She stood on the round metal plate and a glass bell lowered over her head.

Nova placed her hand on the glass panel and from the other side Perla placed hers on top. The two nodded goodbye to each other as the metal plate lifted off. That's the end.