𝗌𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇𝗍𝖾𝖾𝗇. don't lie to me

𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗪 𝗔 𝗞𝗜𝗦𝗦, 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗘 𝗔 𝗚𝗨𝗡
─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───
chapter 017 , don't lie to me

   A whole week had passed since the interview. Nova had in the meantime recovered to some extent from the horror.

Every time she stood in the shower, her hair bristled and she jumped out of the shower screaming.

Since the water was already cold anyway, it brought up the memory in her.

Her sinking screams. Her paralyzed muscles. Her racing pulse and slowly beating heart.

Every single heartbeat she felt all over her body. It was like a time bomb headed for her death.

Whenever her door opened, her whole body flinched and she feared that she would be led away. But nothing happened.

The only person who visited Nova was an Avox girl who brought her food.

There was not much food. A dry loaf of bread with a glass of milk. Not enough to satiate the young woman, but enough to keep her alive.

With each passing day, Nova felt more abandoned. She missed her friends. Her family.

She needed to know how her sister was doing, but whenever she asked a peacekeeper about it, he remained silent.

Maybe he didn't have an answer. Or maybe something happened to Eryn and he couldn't tell her

It was driving her crazy. The uncertainty. Nova despised it. Even in the arena, she worried about so many things.

Thousands of questions were already buzzing in her head back there that she had never gotten answered and now it was nothing else.

This time it was not an Avox who brought Nova her food, but James. Silence surrounded the two friends as he placed the food in front of her.

"How are you?"

Nova kept silent and paid no further attention to him. She pretended he was air.

"I heard about the interview. Did you recover well?"

Silence again. Nova stared stubbornly at a point in the distance. James scoffed. "You know, you can't treat me like this, Nova. I saved you."

Nova's breathing increased and she clenched her hands into fists, suppressing the rising anger.

"If it weren't for me, you would be trapped with the traitors. Why don't you understand that?"

He stood directly in front of the young woman. Her tongue poked against her cheek as she raised her head. Nova's honey eyes sparkled with small flames as she looked at the older man.

"You want me to be grateful?"

James crossed his arms in front of his chest, making his arm muscles flex. "Yes. Yes, I do."

Her voice was calm as she spoke. Dangerously calm.

"Oh, I am so sorry. I am so grateful to you that I am sitting locked in this room, alone and abandoned. That I cannot see my family and I have no idea how my friends are doing, let alone if they are even alive.