Party

Charlie found his way inside the party, and then followed the pounding beat of the music into the main ballroom.

There were people everywhere. Apparently Harry had invited everyone in the world to his party.

At the top of a flight of stairs, he found a mirror and did a final hasty check of his hair. Still fine. The closer he got to the ballroom, the more nervous he felt. What if this was all a big mistake? What if Nick had invited him only to laugh at him? In his heart, he knew Nick wasn't that kind of person, but at the moment his stomach wasn't so certain.

He reached the main ballroom, threading his way through the dancers. And finally he found Nick. God, he was so hot. Charlie was so used to seeing him in his uniform, or the plain T-shirts and jumpers he favored out of school, that he hadn't been prepared for a dressed-up version. Still in a plain T-shirt, but it hugged his body in a way his T-shirts didn't usually do, and he wore a short-sleeve patterned button-down over it that fit his muscular arms like it had been tailored for him.

Across the room, their eyes met, and the immediate answering smile on Nick's face made Charlie feel instantly more confident. They met in the middle of the dance floor, and Nick reached out to put his hands on Charlie's shoulders.

"I've been looking for you," they said to each other at the same time, then laughed. For a moment, they just stood there smiling at one another.

"Let's get something to drink," Nick said at last. He had to lean very close to be heard over the music.

Charlie nodded. Anything to get off the dance floor.

They found an empty sofa in a quieter hallway, and sat down. And then it was just like any time they were round one another's house, talking so easily about nothing.

But Charlie should have known it wasn't going to last. He looked up and saw Harry Greene standing in front of them. "Nicholas!"

The smile faded from Nick's face as though he dreaded having to deal with Harry as much as Charlie did. "All right, mate."

"Why are you hangin' out in here? It's a bit boring, innit?"

All the others were behind Harry, and they laughed like he had said something really funny.

"We just ... are," Nick answered.

Harry plopped down on the couch, throwing his arm over Nick's shoulders. "I've got some important news for you."

"Yeah, what?"

"Tara Jones is here."

The rest of the lads made noises like that was a big deal, and Charlie wondered why. In a party full of people, they were all just hanging around behind Harry. Couldn't they go off and meet girls on their own? Why did they care so much if Nick went out with a girl?

"So what?" Nick asked. To Charlie, it was obvious that he was uncomfortable, but Harry didn't notice—or didn't care.

"So this is your big second chance, mate! Let's make it happen." Across Nick, he said to Charlie, "They kissed when they were thirteen. Proper romantic. He should go for it, right?"

Charlie didn't answer. He hated to see Nick this uncomfortable, and he trusted Elle when she said Tara wasn't interested.

Harry got up, reaching for Nick's hand to pull him up as well. "Come on, mate."

"Harry," Nick protested, but Harry put his arm round Nick's shoulders and walked him down the hall.

Charlie stood up and watched as Nick was drawn in front of Tara Jones. She looked nicer dressed for the party than in the picture Tao had shown him.