Told

Thursday was the all-day rehearsal for the Truham-Higgs spring concert. Charlie didn't know why they needed to spend all day rehearsing—the concert wasn't that long, and they weren't that good—but he wasn't really complaining, either.

When he came into form carrying only his drumsticks, Nick frowned at him

Charlie laughed. "No. Rehearsal for the concert. We get out of classes all day."

"All day? Sneak me into the orchestra, will you?"

"With all your fabulous musical skills?"

"Well, that's unfair. I've only had one lesson." Nick smiled at him.

"And you were terrible."

"Maybe I just need more private tutoring."

That teasing look had its usual effect on Charlie's breathing, and he looked away, blushing. "Shut up."

When the bell rang, Nick walked Charlie to the gym, where the rehearsal was being held. "Nick, I think you're going the wrong way." Charlie grinned at him.

"I've never seen a rehearsal before. I'm expanding my horizons," Nick told him loftily.

"You mean you're putting off going to maths."

"Well, that, too." They walked into the gym together. "I can't believe you get the whole day off to rehearse for this."

"Sometimes, playing a musical instrument has its benefits."

"When's the concert?" Nick asked.

"Friday night."

"Can I come?"

Charlie frowned. "What? Why?" It was just a boring school concert. Even Charlie's parents weren't coming to this one—they'd seen more than their share by this point.

"Because you're performing," Nick said, as though that should have been obvious.

Maybe it should have, but Charlie thought it would be weird to have Nick there while they played through their limited repertoire of school-approved songs. "You don't have to come. You've probably got way more interesting things to do."

Nick smiled at him, as if to indicate he didn't, but before he could say anything else, the teacher called to Charlie to come take care of his drum kit. He smiled back at Nick and went to go get set up. He glanced up a couple of times to see Nick standing there with Tara Jones, wondering what they were talking about.

As Tara and Darcy joined the rest of the musicians, and the teacher got ready to get started, Charlie looked across the room, smiling broadly to see Nick still standing there, looking at him. Without thinking, he waved.

Nick waved back, looking like he'd like to stay all day. Then he left the room hastily—Charlie thought he must have just realised how very late he was for his maths.

Tao was late to lunch because he'd had another run-in with Harry. He was disappointed because he hadn't seen Tara and Darcy. Since they were Elle's friends, Tao wanted to be friends with them, too. Charlie was disappointed because he'd wanted to have lunch with Nick, and couldn't find him, either. The two of them were almost as quiet as Isaac today.

After school, Nick was coming over to study, so Charlie gave his room a hasty tidy-up. He was lying on his bed reading Insta when Tori came to his door. "You can't come in here," he told her. "Nick's coming round."

"Oh. I didn't realise you were in a committed relationship."

"What? We're not— He's not—" He never could lie to Tori. Not well, anyway. Instead he pointed at her with his phone. "Shut up."

"Wow. So not ready to tie the knot yet, then?"

"Shut up," Charlie repeated. After a moment, he added, "Even if we were together—"

But he was interrupted by the sharp knock on the door downstairs. He was off the bed, past Tori, and down the stairs like a shot, letting Nick in.

They kissed briefly when Nick came into his room, but both of them had a lot of work to do, so it was a predetermined quiet study day. They stretched out on the floor on their stomachs, in opposite directions, getting started on their work.

Usually Nick was the more easily distracted. Quickly bored with his homework, he always suggested study breaks or quick games of MarioKart or snacks or something, but today he seemed content to focus on his work—and Charlie couldn't concentrate.

He kept lifting his head and seeing Nick there, in his room, and wanting to pinch himself. Nick was so beautiful. So much fun to hang out with, so kind and gentle and warm, such a good kisser, such an enthusiastic hugger and hand-holder. Charlie wondered how he had gotten so lucky.

While he was in the middle of his heart-eyed reverie, Nick looked up from his work. Charlie quickly turned back to the essay he was supposed to be writing.

"What?" Nick asked.

Charlie echoed his "What?", but he could feel himself blushing.

"You're staring."

"No, I wasn't."

"Yeah, you were."

Charlie threw his pen at him. "Do your homework."

But he had apparently successfully distracted Nick, who put his homework aside and shifted so he was sitting facing Charlie. "You know, I was talking to Tara at the rehearsal today."

"Yeah?"

"You heard she came out, right?"

"Yeah, she put it on Insta."

"I ... told her we're together."

Charlie was certain he hadn't heard that right. Was Nick actually saying he had come out to Tara? He rose up on his knees, trying to control the smile that was spreading across his face, just in case he really had heard wrong. "What?"

"I told her we're going out."

Laughing, unable to contain his joy, Charlie launched himself at Nick, knocking them both over. "Oh, my God, that's amazing. You're amazing." He lowered his head and kissed Nick enthusiastically, wanting him to know just how happy he'd made him. Then he pulled back, worried that somehow he'd put some kind of pressure on Nick, made him do something he wasn't ready for. "Wait. Are you sure you wanted to?"

"Um, yeah."

"You didn't just force yourself because I'm out or anything."

Nick laughed. "No, I wanted to tell them."

Delighted, Charlie kissed him again. Nick rolled them over so he was cradling Charlie in his arms, making Charlie feel safe the way he did. Charlie wrapped his arms tightly around Nick, grasping the back of the blue jumper Nick had reclaimed out of Charlie's closet—but only with the promise that Charlie got to steal another one next time.

They smiled at each other. Charlie was nearly bubbling over with joy. He hadn't actually expected this day to arrive and now that it was here, he could hardly believe it.

Nick's smile faded to worry. "Charlie."

"Yeah?"

"Should I have asked you first? Before I told people."

Lifting his head, Charlie kissed him almost before he'd finished the sentence. "As long as you told them, I don't care how. Wish I'd been there," he added wistfully. "What did they say?"

"They were happy. Surprised I told them, I think." He chuckled. "Darcy said she knew it at the rugby match."

Charlie felt awful. He'd known he'd screwed up that day. He opened his mouth to say 'sorry', but Nick frowned at him.

"Don't say it. I kind of liked that she could tell. I wasn't bothered."

"You weren't?"

"No."

"Really?"

"Really." Nick lowered his head and kissed him again for reassurance. Which worked pretty well.