18

"Really?!" Yibo says with a giant smile on his face. "Mr. Lee, thank you so much oh my god. Zhan's gonna be so happy!"

"Tomorrow is when they'll let him out. You need to tell him today."

Yibo nods as tons of ideas of what he's going to do flood his mind. This was the best news he ever could have revived.

Mr. Lee pulled off finding a way to have them let Zhan be out for a few hours. It might not have been a whole day, but several hours were better than nothing.

As he grabs his water bottle and jacket to follow Mr. Lee, the thought that there were only five days left until Zhan's execution date slips into his head, but he tries his best to push it away. He succeeds but not before it puts that terrible feeling of pressure on his heart.

Yibo goes over ways to tell Zhan. He hadn't even discussed it with him before so it will be a true surprise to him. He just hopes Zhan's okay with it.

He wonders if maybe going out like that will make the feeling worse. For both of them. It will only remind them how sad their relationship is. How they'll never get to be a normal couple who do normal things.

Yibo doesn't let it turn into something negative though. He refuses. Even if they might never get to be 'normal' they can at least pretend for a few hours.

"Zhan ge?" Yibo says quietly as he opens the door.

"Hey," Zhan answers, a small smile on his face as a greeting.

Yibo walks in, a similar smile on his own lips as he gets ready to tell Zhan the good news. "Guess what," Yibo says, going over to sit next to Zhan.

"Hm?"

Yibo shifts a little on the bed, getting comfortable, and crossing his legs in front of him. "So Mr. Lee knows some people, well his friend does, who like being in charge of the big stuff," he explains.

"Okay..."

"And um, I asked him what the possibility of getting you out for a day would be, and he said he'd look into it and good news, they're gonna let you out tomorrow for like several hours!" Yibo finishes, his excitement clear on his face.

"Wait really?" Zhan asks. He seems calm, almost as if he doesn't believe Yibo.

Yeah. I mean, you'll have to wear an ankle thing like at the hospital and I think they also have to put a tracker in my car or something, maybe on me too I don't know, and have security follow us.

"I can't believe you pulled that off," Zhan says, as he becomes more enthused.

"I mean, me either honestly. Like I don't even know how it happened. I figured it'd be a bigger deal but I guess not."

"You said tomorrow right?" Zhan asks.

Yibo nods. "Yep. So start thinking about what you want to do. You will cook for me," Yibo says.

It breaks his heart knowing that there's only one day for them. Less than that. Then, four days after, Zhan would be gone. It would all just be a memory. He
would just be a memory.

Yibo doesn't show his sadness though. He refuses to make this a sad thing. It's not. This is a good and happy thing that deserves to be treated as such. He can't let the way he feels project onto Zhan.

"You're too good for me, you know?" Zhan says with a smile as he reaches over and pulls Yibo closer to him. "Way too good."

"Impossible. You're too good for me. For anyone," Yibo replies, more than willingly letting Zhan hold him.

He hated how much their relationship felt like a tragic love story trope of the next popular YA novel. He wished it was different, but that's all he's been saying for the past four months.