26

The smell of coffee drifted through the air, accompanied by soft acoustic music and shuffling customers. It was nice and Yibo was proud of what he had made.

Of course, he owes it all to Zhan. Without him, Yibo would've never thought he could do something like this. He wouldn't have had the motivation. He did it for Zhan though, not just himself.

Opening the studio in Zhan's name beside the restaurant was Yibo's way of keeping him and his memory alive. Three months later and now there's others that know about Zhan too.

Some ask about him, why it's his name and not Yibo's. He never lies, he always tells them the truth and they always seem to question how something so tragic could happen.

At first when people mentioned it, it hurt, and it still does to some extent, but in a way that's bittersweet. A way that creates a reason for Yibo to keep going.

Mr. Lee helped him out too, along with some of the money Zhan left him.

He remembers talking about opening a studio with Zhan. They were gonna call it Zhanyi. Yibo still likes that name, but he wanted it to be just Zhan's, the logo though, it keeps that memory fresh in his mind every time he sees it.

Not everything was quite how they made it up, but it was very similar in a more realistic way. There was the music, the modern yet vintage look, it was all there and he just wanted a cafe in the entrance of the studio so people could have something warm. He let new artists display their work and it's just a way of helping as Zhan had put it.

Yibo never would've thought the studio would be as successful as it is. He thought it'd take years upon years to be able to open, but somehow it was like a guardian angel just paved the way for him.

The decorations in the cafe all have something to do with Zhan as well. There's a painting that Yibo had done, recreating the picture he took the night of Zhan's execution.

It was of the night sky, the moon was crescent and the rest of the sky was absolutely clear, not a star in sight. Except for one. There was only one star in the sky that was visible. He knew exactly who that star was and now everyday he looks to that painting and gets to relive that memory. It was the only good thing about that day.

Flashback
On the day of the execution, before they walked to the execution room. Yibo pulled Mr. Lee by the side. "Mr. Lee, I feel sick to the pit of my stomach and I don't know what's going to happen but whatever happens please don't take me outside until I wake up. Please, he pleaded."

Mr. Lee nodded and they both walked toward the woman.

After the execution, Yibo couldn't stand the pain and he passed out. Everyone urged Mr. Lee to take Yibo to the hospital, but he declined and took him to the infirmary. An hour later, Yibo woke up. It started off as a dull pain within his chest, but it soon spread across his entire body. He felt weak, sweat covering every inch of skin and hands trembling out of control. The road ahead was a tough one and right now he wasn't sure whether he was willing to walk it, let alone whether he was able. It was difficult to focus between the moments of pain and the voices telling him to just die along with his Zhan ge, but he pressed onward, he needed to do this for Zhan. He promised Zhan he'd live for him. After a few more moments of pure focus, he managed to block out the pain enough to make it nothing more than a minor annoyance. It'll last a while, but he will manage.

Mr. Lee, please take me outside, Yibo said as he trembled. Mr. Lee just nodded and took him outside.

Yibo couldn't control his tears as he took pictures of the night sky. "When do I come to pick up his body?" His voice sounded broken and forced.

"I will call you and inform you once I find out" Mr. Lee replied, tears laced on his voice.

Yibo walked to his cab and Mr. Han took him home without question. Everyone's heart broke for Yibo. They felt sorry for their tragic life.

Present...
There were stuffed lions sitting in random places around the cafe, but the one Zhan originally gave him was safe and sound in his apartment. He couldn't risk something happening to it.

There was a bookshelf as well, full of lots of different stories, but they each only had one copy, except for the one about the void. The one that Yibo shared with Zhan. There were two of those.

All the tips Yibo made went straight to a fund that helps people like Zhan who were unfairly sentenced. He's donated over three thousand dollars in tips to that charity. He wished those people had found Zhan first.

He also had signs around that stand up for lgbtq+ rights, the Black Lives Matter movement, along with other articles and signs that featured and educated people on other social and political issues.

Yibo didn't mind that some people avoided his place because of its very liberal reputation, because he knew that the people who did come in, shared his beliefs. That every single human being on planet earth matters and it's time everyone started acting like it.

Thanks to Yibo and Mr. Lee, the prison now had a monthly meeting on ways they can create an equal and just prison system. Of course they alone couldn't change everything, but it was a start and even helping one person out mattered. The walls were painted and they watched TV every evening for two hours.

All of it, it was all because of Zhan. Yibo created something so important because of him. He wasn't going to let Zhan's life be lost for nothing. He had to make it mean something to people other than him and Zhan himself.

Yibo sometimes notices that he can feel
Zhan's energy when he hugs his stuffed lion or even just looks at it sometimes. It's always so comforting.

Yibo still loves Zhan. That will never ever change. A part of him left with Zhan, there's no denying it, but Zhan hoped that Yibo would move on at some point. He'd find someone else and they'd talk and laugh just like they did. It would never be the same, no one could replace him. Ever. But it doesn't mean that he can't ever love again.

At first Yibo felt guilty for thinking he would get over Zhan, he thought he was somehow cheating on Zhan. One night though, he was having a real hard time with it, it was to the point where he was crying because he wasn't sure if he'd ever be able to let himself move on.

Amid everything, Yibo said out loud "I need you to tell me it's okay, I need you to tell me I'll be fine" and right then and there, a wave of comfort and love rushed over him. That's when he knew that Zhan was with him and supporting him. That he didn't have to feel guilty anymore. He knew Zhan wanted him to be happy and to move on. To let go. But he couldn't.