chapter three

MAYBE I WAS a little nervous to meet Luke again

MAYBE I WAS a little nervous to meet Luke again. I mean, who wouldn't be? He's a massive star and I'm just the girl who does coffee runs and makes sure the song is actually being recorded (there were one too many times where Gustavo forgot to hit the button. It made me wonder how he ever produced anything before.)

I was a little more conscious about what I wore. Just some nice jeans and a nice flowy shirt Kelly got me for Christmas last year. When she gave it to me she didn't realize I couldn't fit it. But I've lost a few pounds (not much, unfortunately) from drinking less soda and more water over the year and it actually looks good on me.

My white vans still were on my feet and I left my wild brown hair down. It was horrible to brush today, but with Mom's hair care products we were able to tame the beast.

"What's got you so dressed up?" Kendall questioned as the boys shuffled out for breakfast. They all had their eyes on me and it made me feel self-conscious. I didn't realize anyone would even notice.

"I'm not dressed up," I mumbled, annoyed that all the attention was on me.

"Yes, you are. Kelly bought you that shirt for Christmas and this is the first time you've worn it," Logan commented in his matter-of-fact voice making me want to sink into the floor.

"And you're wearing actual pants instead of leggings or sweatpants," Carlos pointed out as James stayed silent the entire time.

I shot them all a glare. "I just wanted to try something different but thanks for making me want to change," I snapped before getting up and storming to my room. They all yelled trying to convince me to stay in the outfit but I already began switching it out for leggings and my hockey hoodie.

Back home, I wasn't allowed on the team because I was a girl, but I was an honorary member. Mine said Knight Two and Kendall's Knight One since he was unfortunately born ten minutes before me.

The orange hoodie looked good with my leggings so I figured it was good enough. It was dumb of me to even try to look nice. I wanted to tie my hair back but didn't.

The boys gave me disappointed looks when they saw I changed. Mom saw but didn't comment. I knew she was upset because she really liked the outfit but I just shrugged and went back to my oatmeal.

"What's on the agenda today?" Mom questioned trying to break some of the awkwardness in the air.

Carlos was the one who pipped up. "Gustavo's supposed to have a new song for us, so that's something."

"I'm going shopping. I have a day off for once," I told them, earning jealous looks. Kelly convinced Gustavo somehow that it'd be best for us to not see each other for a day. We really get on one another's nerves.

"What? Are you going to cause him to have another earthquake?" Kendall mocked making me punch him in the shoulder. He groaned in pain while the others scooched away.