chapter twenty

CRYSTAL LOOKED LOVELY in Michael's baggy shirt and leggings while I looked like a mess in my brother's shirt and sweatpants

CRYSTAL LOOKED LOVELY in Michael's baggy shirt and leggings while I looked like a mess in my brother's shirt and sweatpants. When she stole me out of my apartment this morning I wasn't expecting to work out, but it happened and I am dead inside and outside now.

She said she went easy but my leg felt like it was on fire and I know when I woke up in the morning it'll be nothing but pain.

"So, how's Lucy's tattoo coming along?" She casually asked while turning a corner. Everyone knew Lucy wanted me to do her tattoo and constantly asked to see it since it was the first thing I was working on. I was evading every question because while I knew they meant well, it was a little annoying.

Plus, I wanted to do it myself.

Cassie - the amazing tattoo artist who sat with me for a few hours the other week - said while I was doing well for a beginner, I still had ways to go before I can get my license and tattoo people. Plus, I have to do some courses for legal reasons as well.

"In three weeks, I'm surprising Michael in New York so we can go back to Australia and spend the holidays together. Do you want to come with and surprise Luke?" She blurted out, pulling into a parking spot. Lucy and Jo were already waiting outside the building for us, but we didn't get out of the car right away.

"I mean I would love to, but I don't want to intrude on Luke's family. I'm not even sure he wants me to meet them yet," I explained, wishing I could spend this time of year with him. His Christmas gift was finished a few days ago and I would love to give it to him on the day.

Crystal turned to me and shook my shoulders. "One, Luke talks to you all the time to his Mom and cannot wait for you to meet her. Two, I already called Liz and she said you can stay there," she stated matter of factly before shutting off the car and getting out.

I scrambled for the handle and rushed after her. "Are you serious?" I asked, Jo and Lucy giving us odd looks. Crystal had a smug look on her face.

"I wasn't going to invite you and surprise Liz like that. Besides, I asked when I was telling Michael's Mom about my plan," she explained with a wave of her hand like it was no big deal.

"I mean," I faltered my words. What reason did I really have not to go? Gustavo told me to take a break and Cassie would understand. "If you're sure it's okay with Liz."

Crystal squealed and threw her arms around me. "I'm so excited. They do this big party every year and I tend to get left alone," she explained as the buzzer in Jo's hand went off. We stepped into the cool air of the restaurant, a nice sensation on my hot skin.

"You didn't hang out with Luke's ex last time?" I asked, hating that the words came out of my mouth before I could stop them.

She snorted and flipped open the menu effortlessly. "Are you kidding me? She wouldn't leave Luke's side. Everyone was annoyed because they hadn't seen him in so long and wanted to catch up with him."