chapter thirty

MICHAEL WAS A ball of nerves as I got into the passenger seat of his fancy car that had the doors automatically open upward. It was really odd to watch. The poor guy looked like he was going to throw up.

"Dude, breathe, your body needs it to survive," I joked, nudging his arm, noting how white his knuckles were. "Michael, seriously."

He took a deep breath and shook out his shoulders. "It's a little nerve-wracking," he sheepishly told me, taking a split second to look over. I sighed and leaned back into my seat again.

"I know that, but we have to make it to the store in one piece for it to even happen," I reminded him, an eye roll following. "What did you tell Crystal you were doing anyway?"

"That I was going to the gym."

I blinked at him a few times, waiting until we pulled up to a red light to hit him in the arm. He shrieked like a girl and gave me a  look of disbelief. "You idiot. You have an in-home gym! And hate  working out in public!"

His face paled and the look to throw up returned. "Maybe you should drive," he gulped. Now it was my turn to give him a sheepish look.

"I don't know how to. No one ever took the time to teach me," I said with a shrug as he pulled into the alleyway. It was nice of the owner to let him park in the back with the employees so we could go undetected.

"Definitely changing that," he mused, reaching over to open the glove compartment. Instead was a cap that he firmly put on his head.

"You realize that doesn't hide you at all, right?" I told him as we got out of the car.

He shrugged. "I can at least keep my head down to try. I can't have anyone ruin this," he explained. I touched his bicep, stopping us in our tracks.

"I know, but she's going to say yes. You could propose with a ring pop and she'll say yes," I said hoping to soothe his nerves. A look of relief crossed his face.

"Thanks, Kaley. I'm glad I brought you here."

"Oh shush. We only know you brought me for intel for Luke," I joked, earning the laughter I was looking for. He didn't deny it though as he walked a little ahead of me.

I blinked a few times but rushed back over to him as he held the door for me with a grin. "When are you planning on doing it?"

"I have it all planned out. I'm taking her to Bail to the resort where we first began our relationship and doing it at sunset," he said, making me coo in cuteness overload.

"When do you leave?" He refused to look at me. "Michael, when do you leave?" I asked a little more sternly.

"Tonight," he mumbled, kicking the ground. I smacked him on the shoulder.

"You idiot," I sighed before grabbing his arm and yanking him over to the salesman who was waiting for us patiently. He instantly began to show Michael the super expensive ones as I just browsed around the glass cases. Michael brought me because I knew Crystal really well - even over some of her friends that she had before she met me.

My friend had an expensive taste but I knew she wouldn't want something too flashy. I cast a glance to see Michael extremely confused while holding a ring with a big diamond and a bunch of small ones. I scrunched my nose at it and he saw it. He shook his head and I did it back immediately he put it down.

The annoyed look on the seller's face said it all.

I paused when I noticed a simple golden band with one large diamond in the middle of it. When I say large, I mean large. It would be perfect for her.