chapter twenty-two

LUCY BARELY MADE it to say goodbye before Crystal and I left for the airport

LUCY BARELY MADE it to say goodbye before Crystal and I left for the airport. Her album was almost done being recorded and she's been spending a lot of time in the studio. Her first single is going to be the one she struggled with and I can't wait to hear it.

Katie told me to bring her something interesting but dumb at the same time. In reality, she wanted me to capture a kangaroo but Mom said no. And Mom just kept telling me to be safe and to text her when I got there so she knows the plane didn't crash.

New York wasn't that much of a time difference but I know Mom will be more worried when we take the plane to Australia. She squeezed me one last time before letting me go. I thought Katie would have had to pry her off of me, but this is progress.

"Can you give this to Calum on Christmas?" Lucy asked, handing me a tiny box with a nice bow on it.

"Of course. Can I know what it is?" I asked, earning a shake of her head. With one last goodbye, we disappeared into the mayhem of the airport.

Almost all my clothing was stuffed into a duffel bag while my luggage was Luke's present. I slapped a fragile sticker the nice lady at the front gave me in hopes it wouldn't be too jostled around. Way too much time had been dedicated for it to go to ruins. His present wasn't huge but I'm still surprised it fit in the biggest luggage I could find.

The longest part was waiting at the gate and hoping Ashton was keeping them busy enough. Crystal and I called him last night and told him about our plan. We would have called Calum but we both feared he would absentmindedly have let it slip. Ashton got us a driver to get us from the airport and take us to wherever tonight's concert was.

I grabbed the arms of my seat tightly as the plane began to move. The only other time I've flown is when we moved to California and that was a long time ago.

Crystal grabbed my hand and squeezed it, giving me some comfort. The only thing getting me through this is seeing Luke on the other side. Not the calming playlist that was guaranteed to calm me down.

I was thankful Ashton was keeping them so busy he couldn't check his phone. I wouldn't have been able to keep my excitement in now that I'm on my way to see him and would spill the beans. Plus, I'd feel bad after seeing a bunch of text messages from him after my phone isn't on airplane mode anymore.

Throughout the five-hour ride, Crystal had to constantly calm me down. We hit a rough patch of turbulence that seemed to just never end. If this was bad, I didn't want to know what the flight to Australia was going to be like.

My heartbeat only went back to normal when the plane came to a halt and we were able to leave the metal contraption. Yeah, I didn't like flying.

We linked arms as we walked through the airport with our heads down. I had to wear a different sweatshirt because Crystal and Ashton were worried that a fan would see it, which is dumb because I wear it all the time, but it would ruin the surprise.