chapter twenty-four

MY LEG WAS shaking the entire tour bus as I waited anxiously to see if I was right

MY LEG WAS shaking the entire tour bus as I waited anxiously to see if I was right. I tried to not get my hopes up but it was hard. Last night after the date I had put the daisy in a book that Luke had bought from the hotel gift shop for me, but the moment we laid down in bed I couldn't fall asleep. All I could think about was what I saw the other day.

Well, more like who I had seen.

Just when I was about to give up and go to Luke, he broke through the crowd. He paused when he saw me and I could see him debating on turning around but there was no use. I've already seen him. Slowly he made his way to me, his head down in shame.

"Kaley," he started but I cut him off.

"Can we go somewhere and talk?" I asked, my voice thick with unshed tears. He sighed and nodded, gesturing for me to follow him. I couldn't believe this was real and actually happening. I've been waiting for this moment all my life.

We walked in silence, me slightly behind him because walking next to him felt weird. He held the door open for me at a small cafe.

"Go get a seat and I'll get us something to drink," he said, not waiting for me to tell him what I wanted. I picked a spot back in the corner where no one would really look for us.

I sat back and took a deep breath watching him at the counter. He was very polite when talking to the barista and even threw a ten in the tip jar. He looked just as awkward as I felt and his hands shook as he brought the drinks over.

"I knew this would happen eventually but I was hoping I'd have more time to prepare myself," he admitted, refusing to look me in the eyes.

"Mom told me everything. I wish you would have just come home."

My Dad looked at me with so much pain and sorrow. "I know. It took a long time for me to get clean and then I was ashamed. Any time I wanted to come home I remembered the way people talked about our family. I just thought my coming home would make it worse."

"I wish you would have even if they talked. I'm not mad. I just missed you," I confessed, hating how he winced at that. "Mom said you knew we lived in L.A. Why did you never show?"

He sighed and messed with the straw in the mug. "I was going to but then I realized I had nothing to bring in. Just a lot of baggage and no job. So I figured I'd try to save before coming back. And honestly, I was afraid your mom would turn me away."

I laughed, the tears finally spilling. "Quite the opposite. She might slap you but she would love to have you back, Dad."

The one simple word almost broke him. It was a word he probably never thought he would have heard again. He could have moved on and made a new family, but instead, he held out hope for the one he already has.

"She never found anyone else?" He asked with a little hope in his eyes.

I shook my head. "No. She is waiting for you to come back."