chapter four

OVER THE COURSE of the next few weeks, the friendship that Luke and I were forming was blooming beautifully

OVER THE COURSE of the next few weeks, the friendship that Luke and I were forming was blooming beautifully. Every day we fought over who was buying the coffee or tea and I was glad he let me get some of it. He has the money but that doesn't mean he should be spending it when I can afford it too.

Conversations just came naturally to us and we haven't run out of things to talk about yet. And he always walked me to the studio before going to his where the boys were writing their third album. At first, I felt bad, but he said it was on the way to his so I got over it quickly since I liked his company.

The only thing that bugged me is that we haven't exchanged numbers, which normally wouldn't be a big deal, but I've been sitting here for an hour waiting for him. I hoped that he was okay and that he forgot he couldn't come today.

I was just nervous he finally got the hint about how weird I was and decided our forming friendship wasn't worth it. My phone buzzed and despite knowing it couldn't be him, my heart still leaped to my throat in excitement.

Instead, it was just my boss asking for a coffee run. I sighed and threw my tea away before getting back in line. My throat is back to normal since the cliff and it was extremely hard to explain why I couldn't talk. I just let Mom fuss over me and pretend I was getting sick instead of explaining the real reason. Let's face it. There was no way I could tell her without it sounding completely weird.

While I was waiting for the coffee, I felt a tap on my shoulder. The barista, Nancy (someone I've gotten close to since coming with Luke) had a smile on her face and was holding out a phone to me. "Someone is on the phone for you," she sang lightly as I grabbed it from her. I shot her an odd look before pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I questioned, utterly confused.

"Hey!" Luke said seemingly out of breath. "I forgot that we had a meeting this morning and didn't have time to call the shop ahead of time. I'm so sorry."

I bit my lip trying to hide the smile that was creeping onto my face. "Luke, you're fine, but I think it's time we exchanged numbers," I uttered, trying not to stumble over my words like an idiot. Luke was hot and I felt like an idiot for being in the friend zone, but I was nowhere ready to put myself out there again.

Especially with someone so good-looking.

"Here, are you ready?" he asked as I created a new contact on my phone. "I have to go, but just text me and again, I'm so sorry for not remembering."

I laughed at him as Nancy brought my order over. "It's okay, Luke. Go do your job before you get in trouble," I joked before we said goodbye and hung up.

"Girl, you are so lucky to hang out with him," she said while taking the phone back and fanning herself at the thought of him. I laughed at her and grabbed my order.

"I know. He is just so pretty to look at," I agreed before we said our own goodbyes. While today didn't have the greatest start, it has gotten a little better now.