chapter twenty-seven

FOR THE FIRST time since my brother and I were seven, I was able to sleep in on Christmas

FOR THE FIRST time since my brother and I were seven, I was able to sleep in on Christmas. It was actually one of the best presents I could ask for, waking up in Luke's sleepy arms.

His mother brought us both a mug of coffee before forcing us downstairs in our pajamas. We curled into one another on the floor in front of the sofa while Jack sprawled out on it still half asleep. Just as she reached for the first present, the doorbell rang.

Luke jogged over to the door leaving the rest of us confused. "Kent? We weren't expecting you until tonight?" Liz greeted as he walked in next to a grinning Luke.

"Well, Luke invited me early. Uh," he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "Long story short, Kaley is my daughter," he mentioned, Liz whipping her head to me. I rushed over to hug him, something he still wasn't used to.

"Well, come on in. Do you want some coffee?" Liz asked, starting to get up. Dad shook his head.

"I'm good. Thank you," he said sitting on the part of the couch that Jack had given him. I say back down next to his legs, my head on Luke's shoulder.

We all watched Zoe open her presents first and I wish I had the foresight to get her something. In fact, I wish I had gotten them all something but I don't know them well enough to do so. It's stupid to get them something that would just clutter up their house.

To my surprise, Liz handed me a perfectly wrapped gift addressed from her and Andrew. "You didn't have to," I told her, only to be waved off.

"Don't worry about it dear. Go on, open it," she urged with a goofy grin on her face. I ripped it open carefully to find a pillow with sequins on it. "Brush your hand over it."

I barely moved all the sequins before I burst into laughter which in turn sent her into a fit. Everyone looked at us like we were crazy until Luke took the pillow and revealed the image.

"Really Mom?" He cried out in disbelief making the two of us laugh harder. His brothers lost it when he turned the pillow around to show the embarrassing photo.

It must have been taken at one of their older shows because his hair quiffed up and he still had his lip ring. Its face was contorted into a weird expression as if he was about to sneeze. Even my Dad was trying not to laugh.

"Now. I want to see what Kaley got Luke," Ben commented once we all regained composure, gesturing to the medium size wrapped gift. I got up and brought it over to him.

"It's not much," I said with a shrug. "Be careful opening it, you might damage it."

He gave me a look as if he was trying to figure it out beforehand. I had brought it down last night after we got back so it was the first time he saw how big it was. Careful was an understatement as he opened the wrapping, but the look on his face was worth it.

His blue eyes shined in wonder as they raked over the canvas. "I want to see," Liz eagerly said, rushing over to see it. Her jaw dropped and she put her hand over her mouth.